Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ignition Lock Mech to be removed?

zorker69

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I own a 64 Renault 4 which unfortunately has had the key snap off leaving most of it lodged well in the ignition, rendering it useless at this point in time. Therefore I was hoping if anyone could tell me the easiest way of removing the ignition lock mechanism from the console so as to to be able to take it to a locksmith in order to get it repaired etc?

Any hints, directions or other solutions would be most forthecoming and very much appreciated

Cheers

z

This happened to me a few years ago but I managed to get the piece that was still left in the barrel out with a pair of tweezers after about 2 hours,I was also able to get the guy at the key cutting shop to make me another one, even though it was in two parts...worth a try

Hello
There is a brass pin on the right side of the houseing very sharp cold chisel will cut through it,on the opposite side is a spring loaded button,push that in and pull it out,after disengageing the wires.

Two types of ignition barrel. There's the one with the steering lock which is just about impossible to remove even if you have the key, and the normal one without the lock which is held in by a little 6mm or 7mm bolt to the side. Remove that it'll come out.

Thanks for the tips guys. Car is in storage facility hence the late reply as only had the chance to llok at it again over the weekend. On closer inspection it looks as though Malcolm may be on the money as it appears to be of the Steering lock variet and every way I look at it appears to be no way of releasing the barrel from it's housing. If the pins as described were ther they have at some pint previously been damaged or removed hence not allowing for any quick fix here. Theonly thing I can see that I can do as the housing is connected to sleeve aurrounding the steering wheel, is disconnect the front half of the wheel and the housing that connects the sleeve to the console via these really hard to get at nuts. This will allow me to take the whole unit out as a whole then at least out of the car I can take it to a locksmith etc and have it replaced.
Is this what any of you would do or is there something I may be missing, as I said as can be seen there is no way that I can release the barrel in it's own right.

Thanks again

z

I took one of the steering column lock ones out of a '65 a few weeks ago. To remove them you need to turn the key to garage (marked with a G) to release the lock, undo 2 6mm head bolts, press in 2 tabs that can only be pressed in when the key is in garage setting, then fiddle out the lock. It's a pain even when you can get it to garage setting. It might go there with half a key.

Otherwise column off would be the easiest. Just a couple of difficult to access 10mm nuts, a couple of screws and the steering joint.

Back