Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Is there anyone who can help me to identify my car ?

Snoopy1974

Enthusiast
Hi all,

last week I bought a R4 for only 80 €, surprisingly it is in good condition even when you see it you're frighten :eek::eek:
007 Premier nettoyage.jpg
008 Trois-quart arrière D.jpg

The big problem I have, I don't know the exact year model... :mad:

The seller lost the "carte grise", and the plates in the engine bay have been removed, the only thing I have is the type: R1126, and the number present on the chassis near the passenger seat: 07 77 37 1

How can I find the exact year model, and other details on this car, is it possible ???

also lost 3 hubcaps

isn't it a bit worrying that the plates in the engine bay have been removed?

;) The 3 hupcaps missing have been removed by me before carry the car at home (3 drums were stucked).

If the seller can't find the plates, it's not a really problem with the french MOT, but I think I will try to make new ones.

I agree it looks quite solid really which is a good start to a restoration, good luck.

It says on the badge that it is a TL, and it looks about right (to me) for something mid to late 70's. An 1126 is a 782cc car according to the front pages of my online manual. Doesn't give a clue on exact years though.

I would say 1974 (when did the black grill go out, 74?)

Any R4 bought for 80 euros is in good condition, no matter how bad does it look!

Assuming that what we see has not been changed it's a 1977 model (rectangular white indicators and metal ventilation flap). If you post some more photos of the interior, the engine bay etc, we can make a closer assumption of its model year, as it looks almost untouched.

Without any paperwork i doubt you will get a C T,and where are the No. plates?
could well be a scrap car (epave) which means it cannot go back on the road.

;) Hi all, and thanks you for your answers,

even there are no number plates on the car, and the plates in the engine bay have been removed, this car is not considered as scrap car. Its owner lost the "carte grise" and before selling me the car, he removed all the plates because he was afraid I coud drive it on the road :(

I believe it is a 1976 or a 1977 car, as Angel said, some details helped me to have an idea of the real age of this car, I also noticed it has the same steering wheel as the 1978 GTL, and not the old one of the older models.

Please look at these pictures of the engine, the rear seat, the real mileage (km), and the beautiful old seat covers !
012 Compartiment moteur.jpg
DSCF5032.jpg
013 Kilométrage réel.jpg
014 Housse peau de bête.jpg

OK, all clear now, it's a '77, they were the only ones to have the metal ventilation flap and the front-mounted battery tray.
In the same model year they changed the steering wheel, so yours is correct, and the instrument panel ("new" style but with five digit odometer,'77 and '78).
I think everything on this car is untouched, down to the white indicator lenses, except for the grey bonnet grille (should be black).

Thanks Angel, you're right, it's a 77'.

I actually look for a black front grille to fit on my car.

Today, I know the exact age of the car: May 23 1977.

I asked to Renault dealer who was unable to identify the car with the chassis number, so I asked to "Gendarmerie" near my home, they just needed the name and date of birth of the old owner, and they told me the exact type, the year, the old registration number...

From now on, I have all I need to be able to drive it legally on road ;)

online manual?

...car according to the front pages of my online manual.

what do you mean by your online manual, where is that available?

i could use a wiring diagram copy for my 1977

Back