Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Just bought another R4

David Gray

Enthusiast
Malcolm I thought I would let you know I bought Maggie Murray's brown 1975 R4 that was on the forum for sale. Its a great car.
It must be one of the last 850s. The best engine as far as I am concerned.
I stay near Perth in Scotland. Two of flew down to Bournemouth for £18 each, picked up the car, Drove it to Stafford and stayed overnight.
The car was not running too well. Managed to blow a hole in the silencer ( not too bad though). After failing to start in the morning, took the air cleaner off to discover the choke cable was not working. Fired up no problem. The air cleaner was very dirty or as we would say- manky. We threw that away and adjusted the carb. Yeh presto. We drove the remaining 300miles with no problems. Kept up 60mph nearly the whole way. We passed plenty of slower moving cars. In total I think we covered about 500 miles. It was very comfortable and our hearing has almost recovered.
I told you about buying a great 1968 R4. It needs a little work, but it runs very well and I have decided to keep it as well and restore it.
I know I am mad, but I am even going to keep it 6 volt.
It has a really nice interior but is an unusual dark green colour.
Ebay is fantastic for picking up bits and the forum is great for getting in touch with people.
Hopefully Greeney in France is going to help me track down some wings.
I am going to France in May and hopefully will pick them up.
I have other cars - two Alvis and one Daimler Dart, but there is something about an R4 that I can't describe.
Keep up the good work.
David

were all mad here , i thought that was a prerequisite (maybe spellt wrong) of owning an R4
as for people with more than 1 !!

..I agree - some more mad than others..

..Still we can all blame Malcolm as he started this site and has managed to persuade a whole lot of mad people to take out their 'madness' on Renault 4' business rather than have to be couped up at Broadmoor?

..and by the way David, Babylon was a fab song!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just bought another car, but......its a Citroen. Am I allowed to mention that on here!?! A Traction Avant of 1955. Hopefully on the road soon.

Renault 4 is staying though, thats my London car, and favorite!

dear Ian , as my grammar and spelling is less than perfect may i just say that i thought it should be cooped as in chicken shed ,rather than couped as in fastback/gt conversion
but then again i could be wrong

paul

Beige I love the traction although I am more partial to the earlier cars the frontal lines were so beautiful, I will get one when the time is right I have far to many projects and cars at the moment
Send me some details if you don't want to post here nicholas3.greene at wanadoo dot fr

Message to Mr Reno. Your friend Alan ( Bison) was the one who drove the car back with me.
I just had a drive in the blue car with new head gasket. It goes really well.

Back