Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Kangoo- The new Renault 4?

MJE

Enthusiast
I noticed on another thread that the Renault 4 has been treated with derision. My own Renault, a 1.2 Kangoo was greeted with similar amusement when I first bought it. It strangely becomes sought after when people need to move furniture. I recently went to Normandy in the car with 4 passengers, all of their luggage and two bikes on the tow bar carrier. The Kangoo didn't miss a beat, climbed Point-Normandie without complaint (the motoring press insist you need the diesel) and my passengers were more comfortable than any car they had travelled in. I reckon the Kangoo is the new R4.

The idea of the Renault 4 was to provide cheap, simple transport with space in the back for a couple of pigs. I can't think of many cars that do the same these days.

Ordinary small cars are stuffed full of toys and cost way too much money. You'd only get one pig in the boot, and it would pee on the CD multichanger.

A basic Kangoo is very well priced. It's a van, a car, a people mover, and a pig carrier. Certainly it's the closest Renault have got to a 4 since the 4 itself.

A used petrol Kangoo is indeed a bargain, the diesel versions are very expensive. I'm yet to carry a pig (must try that sometimes) but a full dining room table and chairs was swallowed with room to spare. The body roll on corners is very 4 like, if only they'd put the gear lever on the dashboard! they should offer it in the same sunbleached beiges and yellows that the 4 came in....I will have one one day, til' then enjoying the website.

The problem with retro-mobiles is they always comprmise the original vision by piling in the modern kit. The Beetle is a Golf in a less practical suit, the Mini is a sports hatch for metro-sexual estate agents. Renault are using the Dacia Logan as their cut price 'back to basics' mobile. Just watch European car makers run to the drawing boards when the Chinese start producing cheap cars...the shit will hit the fan then. I still don't understand why the Twingo never made it over here.

I'm sure if they would to make a cheap retro R4 with the same philosophy as the original it would be a great seller. Chinese have started the invasion and I don't see a way that they can be stoped. In 20 years we'll all be driving Chinese cars :(

A new Twingo is imminent, it will have to compete with the C1/107/Aygo and the VW Fox. Western buyers expectations have moved on since the 50's when the R4 was conceived. The Kangoo,Berlingo and Doblo are the only things that approach the practicality of the R4 but they are seen as uncouth vans with windows or vehicles for the disabled. If Renault were to do a R4 revisited it would probably be a self-concious fashion item like the new Beetle or Mini rather than a modern car which followed the philosophy of the Renault 4.

I don't have a problem with those retro-fashion items cars.

The Range Rover is an example of how it can be done very well.

I like the Renault Kangoo but it is not what the Renault 4 was. The Renault 4 (car version) was designed to be a car, not a van converted into a car.

I reckon the closest thing to a Renault 4 is either the Twingo or the new Fiat Panda.

The original Panda was along the lines of the Renault 4 too.

If they could make a car that functioned like the new Panda and looked as close to the Renault 4 as possible that would be cool.

The Kangoo - the new R4?

Yes, probably the Kangoo is the nearest modern vehicle to the R4. At the moment ours is fitted out with a bed, cupboards and a cooker, and still has room for the bikes and all the camping stuff. It's usually used for gardening equipment and is often full of compost. But it's easy to clean and the smell of silage soon disappears.

It's ideal to go round France as we like to blend in and don't like to look too much like Les Rosbifs.

The photo was taken near Lake Annecy en route to the Alps. Despite the 1.2 engine and full load there was no trouble getting up the hills!
fr2004_10.jpg

Dead washing machine out to tip, new washing machine back from Comet. No hassle.....hats off the Kangoo.

I think that it is better to live with the memory of the original R4 than try to make a modern "lookalike" hiding underneath a Clio...after all the R4 had many mechanical novelties.R4 was never a "fashion statement",it was more of a "workhorse" than anyone of the now "remade" cars (Beetle-Mini-Fiat 500). Just like 2CV,and that's why I think Citroen and Renault will not make a "new" 2CV and R4 ,simply because it would be an insult to the original cars. The Kangoo is a brilliant marketing concept in my opinion: Not "a reborn R4" but "a new car with something of the R4 (fourgon) character". One interesting note:The Kangoo is the one and only modern car with a front-hinged bonnet!

Back