Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

key cylinder removal

mojobaby

Enthusiast
My new R4 (check new projects-"look what I found") came with no key and the steering is locked! I read a post written in May 2010 where someone said that he had to break open the metal casing to get the cylinder out.
I've taken out the small screw on the side of the metal casing and have been trying to push in the pin located on the top, but the cylinder won't come out. Is it perhaps locked into the steering column? is there another screw or pin hiding somewhere?
I can't wait to do something really constructive with the car, but this first hiccup is holding me back! Any advice please?

I have the same issue - with a lock which is so tight its breaking the key !

There is at least a screw and a pin - i know I have removed a screw and tried to push the pin !

Normally the pin will only push in when the key is inserted or the ignition is on the G setting. Can you push the pin in far enough to clear the thick casing? I have never needed to remove an ignition barrel without the key so don't know how they would be removed without brute force. The very early locking steering columns (1966) had 2 pins on opposite sides but I thought the later cars had only one pin..

Good point about the key I had forgotten I had to do that step (I just followed the haynes) Without the key it will be tricky.

Normally the pin will only push in when the key is inserted or the ignition is on the G setting. Can you push the pin in far enough to clear the thick casing? I have never needed to remove an ignition barrel without the key so don't know how they would be removed without brute force. The very early locking steering columns (1966) had 2 pins on opposite sides but I thought the later cars had only one pin..

There's a small screw on the side and a pin on top that you can't see, only feel. I've tried to push it in with a variety of small screw drivers and nails and other pointy objects. It goes in pretty far and I can feel that the cylinder is loose. also when I turn the steering wheel, the cylinder moves a bit, so thats the locking mechanism. will try again tomorrow...

what about new keys?

have lost the keys to my 81 4 GTL - would appreciate advice on how to resolve and get new keys made, etc - anyone? Assuming I can remove the cylinder as per this thread...

Hi Katrel, to get the ignition lock out, you have to have the key> my car came with no key and I really didn't feel like bending open the metal casing that encloses the lock.

I took my lock out of the passenger side door and gave it to a locksmith. Removing the lock took about 20-30 minutes. He made me a key in a day for 32Euro and it fits both doors, the ignition and the petrol cap.

Hope you find your key!

Jislaaik jong! just seen that you from SA! me too-from Cape Town! living in France now

Hi Mojobaby, on the subject of keys: were R4's originally supplied with a single key that worked in the ignition, doors and petrol cap? My recently acquired F6 has three keys, one for ignition, one for all three doors and another for the petrol cap ....

Our GTL has one key for the ignition and doors and a different key for the petrol cap.

Perhaps your ignition lock (or all door locks) was replaced at some point?

Hi Mojobaby, on the subject of keys: were R4's originally supplied with a single key that worked in the ignition, doors and petrol cap? My recently acquired F6 has three keys, one for ignition, one for all three doors and another for the petrol cap ....

my first R4 had one key that fitted ignition, doors and petrol cap. Then I lost the petrol cap cos I forgot to put it back on at the petrol station, so I bought a new cap that came with its own key.

the R4 that I've just bought came without a key. The locksmith cut a new key from the passenger side lock and it fits ignition, doors AND petrol cap as well.

So from that, I would say that R4's were originally supplied with one key that would fit everything.

I have a non-original petrol cap where the key can only be removed when it is on the tank and closed. Makes it impossible to drive off without it - very handy.

(Howzit Mojobaby. Ca va la France? Thanks for the advice, I will have to send the lock to France, I guess. But worth it.)

You don't have to send the lock to France, just take out your door lock and give it to a South African locksmith and ask them to make a new key.It should fit your ignition as well.

My door panels are still off, so if you need some photos of the inside of the door, just let me know

on the oldish r4's the key no. is stamped on the bottom of the lock, you need a mirror to see. also some had the key no. under the chrome top plate of the ign lock. failing that you will have to drill out the lock thru the key slot using larger and larger drills.

Back