Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

leaking sump plug

billythefish

Enthusiast
I am getting my R4 ready for the summer and I seemed to have got myself a leaking sump plug after I changed the engine oil, I don't know if it's just the copper washer or what but I don't want to over tighten the plug and knacker the threads, I know you can get thread tightener ( can't remember if it's the red or blue ) or do I just need another copper washer and if so where can I buy one?
billy

Hi there Billy. First of all, I'm glad you decided to keep your 4, if I remember rightly you were thinking of selling it, but I think one or two of us put you off the idea. Now, it's not a good idea to use what's known as thread lock to try to seal a sump plug. The blue will make it very difficult to undo next oil change time, and the red will make it impossible, and will probably destroy the threads in the sump if you do manage to shift it. Even hydraulic sealant is not a good idea. The best way is a good old fashioned copper washer as you suggested. You should be able to get one at any good motor factors, or just try your favourite garage if you have one. Perhaps even your local plumbers merchants is worth a try. Hope this helps, Brian.

I have a similar problem with my 4, I have changed the plug washer and it still leaked, so ended up using some plumbers PTFE tape around the threads of the plug before replacing it!

So far (touches wood) all is well and oil free after 4000 miles. ;)

When I last picked some up they were labelled as Ford Mondeo items, collapsible copper tube type.

Hi There,
Yes Cornish you did indeed make me see sense thank God and I still have my R4 which cost next to nothing to run and is far more pleasure to drive than all the sports cars in the world.
To get back to my problem,I remember last year that I had a leaking radiator valve on my central heating system and applied some PTFE tape to the threads and it worked fine, so I will give that a try first, nothing to do with me being Scottish and it being the cheapest solution by the way.:hug:
Thanks guys for all the replies

Ideally you'd fit a new copper washer everytime you change the oil. Though those of Scottish (or Yorkshire) descent might change the washer only every second or third time.

It's a 16mm washer with copper on the outside and some black cardboard gunk on the inside. Available from all good motor factors or even in the supermarkets in France.

If you have a spare sump plug you can change the washer without loosing too much oil.

PTFE tape is good for plumbing but I think you are lucky if it seals your sump-plug. If I remember rightly the thread on the plug is a parallel one and the plug has a shoulder for a washer. PTFE tape is meant to be used on taper treads. If you use a plain copper washer, you can reuse it by heating it to cherry-red and quenching it in water to anneal or soften it. We like to watch the pennies a bit down here too :-)

Thank you one and all for your suggestions and candid remarks however, at the present time I'm saving up extremely hard to buy a brand new copper washer but in these times of austerity one has to be very careful about spending hard earned pennies just to buy a copper washer.

I used to have loads of washers but as a young kid I put them all in the electric meter instead of the shillings my mother gave me to put in,she thought it was odd that we were the only house in the street that had power cuts.

Hello there Billy. Did you invest in a new sump washer and stop the oil leak? I was interested to read your comments when you said the R4 was more fun than some sports-cars you'd had. I see you have an MGB, I've had a few MGs over the years, great fun at times but there IS something about the Renault that makes it a bit special. Anyway, I hope you are leak-free now. All the best, Brian.

Back