Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

LHD R4 TL Insurance

Hartley Hare

I have a R4 that is currently going through it's MOT repairs today, so assuming it does get through I'll be keeping it for a while yet.
However, when I insured the car last year I encountered problems as the car I have (a LHD 1985 TL, 1108 cc) does not appear on the list of models the insurance companies have (TLs are 848cc, according to them, and GTLs were only sold in the UK around this date).
I ended up getting insurance but does anyone know of an insurance company that would be a good bet to contact next time ?

www.confused.com I've been using them for the last couple of years and nobody can beat them. It's a search engine for the cheapest insurance. You punch in your details and they get back to you within the hour with a whole list from the dearest to the cheapest.

Considering I pay under £100 for my 1985 R5GTL 1400cc, fully comp, business use etc, I can't complain. There again, I'm an old fart over 50 with a clean licence and I've had no claims.

If anybody else is over 50 and you're considering SAGA - forget it. They talk in telephone numbers for their premiums!

Steve

thing about confused is that they are run by admiral insurance (who own elephant and a few others) so generally they are who comes up cheapest in my experience. there is another similar thing called www.quotezone.co.uk which is worth a look i think - it is not run by admiral

I'm not bothered who owns them as long as I get the best deal. On all the quotes I've asked for and including my friends as well, Admiral has never figured in the price list. Only last week a colleague at work said her AA renewal was £265. We went to confused and got it down to £178 - and this was with an Irish insurer. She's happy...........

Steve

Yeah, thats probably Quinn Direct, i think they are irish, i just thought the QuoteZone one looked like a good site

Thanks for that - just did a search for a bit of fun and the lowest quote is 2/3 of what I'm paying at the moment. Have to try one of these things when renewal time comes around.

Gott and Wynne of Llandudno have been good for a couple of classic policies that I have needed, and were chatty and helpful too. I don't know how they would be for a 'normal' policy. Adrian.

Saga Insurance Saga

Absolutely don't go near Saga. Having resisted them for a few years on account of not wishing to acknowledge I was over fifty I finally gave in last year. In December, thieves smashed my driver's window (even though the door wasn't locked) to nick my radio. I told Saga that I had replacement window and frame and that I might need to ask a garage to fit it. The woman on the phone said that my car would be a write-off because, being 22 years old, it couldn't be worth as much as the £50 cost I estimated for the window and £100 for the radio. I would have no trouble selling the car for over £1000 as it is in immaculate condition inside, outside and, most importantly, underneath. Does anyone know an insurer who would be sympathetic to a more valuable than usual older car?

Direct Line were great when my car was bumped. The assessor agreed the car would be worth around £1500 (and that it would be written off). A week later I had a cheque and had set off on holiday with my new found wealth.

The classic car policies can do agreed value, and some of them (Lancaster is one) give you other things like free recovery and driving other cars. I haven't found one that lets you maintain a no claims bonus yet unfortunately.

Must be easy for the insurance company to find rusty old scrappers on eBay and tell you that's how much the car is worth, but I'd guess a letter from an owners club would help persuade them.

In defence of SAGA

Robert, I've just had a completely different experience of Saga. My other car is a 1987 Maestro and last month it was stolen but abandoned not far away - it was a cold early morning, and I don't think the little toerag knew about the choke. Anyway, I had to do nothing. The car was recovered by the police and Saga sent it to a garage where within a week the driver's window, the steering column and all the locks were replaced. I even got paid for my missing driving glasses . Meanwhile I had a hire car. This was for a price of £107.98 comp. with £100 excess, and I'm allowed to make four claims a year. So I can't fault Saga at all.

Two months before my 50th I tried to get an online quote from Saga. They wouldn't give me one as I was 'too young'. So I waited 12 months and tried again as I was now an 'oldie'. The price quoted was an amazing 2.5 times the amount I was currently paying, so I declined. Then came the junk mail by the ton - the whole of Epping Forest was pushed through my letterbox. Never again!!

Steve

You guys want to go to IC breakdown cover, you get the whole lot for just £69 and I mean the whole lot, mind you I think the car has to be less than ten years old.
bill

You guys keep on about Saga but I only pay £112 full comp for my Rover 75 with them. It is the post code that determines what you pay for your car insurance and nothing more, unless you have points on your licence of course.
It's exactly the same with building and contents insurance.
billy

I've found Renault 4s a big pain to insure. I've had quotes between £450 and £81 for my GTL. I settled on about £110 for known support (Direct line only cover R4s from 1983). R4s are not at all like houses. Houses tend to be more house-like.

For my Classic R4s I'm favouring Haggarty at the moment with their insure a R4 and an MGA on the same policy deal. I think they are £150 together at the moment.

Do you know this thread is from 4 years ago?

Back