Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor on Renault 5 Supercinq

Hi Folks!

My Renault 5 Supercinq is terrible at starting first thing and takes about 8-10 goes to start I googled this and found on the Honest John website a discussion of this problem the solution seems to be that the Coolant Temperature Sensor needs replacing and so I ordered a replacement coolant temperature sensor from a car parts seller on Ebay. I doubled checked with the seller that I was buying the right part and it arrived yesterday it looks like this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8564231811_f40c82b790.jpg

My neighbour came round this morning to replace it but he cannot find its location the Haynes manual states that it is located on the left hand end of the cylinder head but does not provide a diagram or photo of its location - does anyone know where it is and has anyone ever replaced the coolant temperature sensor in their R5 Supercinq?

With many thanks

Regards

Harley :)

if it's any use to you have a renault factory workshop manual [MR.257] english edition covers models C400 C401 C402 C403 1984 bought in error 20 gbp inc postage ?

It'll be on the water pump but (assuming you have the correct part) that won't be your issue. Coolant temperature sensor issues are a modern car thing. For the auto it switches on a light on your dashboard when it gets too hot and won't interfere with the starting.

When did you last get your car serviced? Not sure of your year, but I'd guess the things to look at would be points (if it has them) and distributor cap. If the engine is really slow to turn maybe the battery or starter motor could be the problem.

Montenegro thanks I do have a Haynes workshop manual my car is a 1988 model. Malcolm I actually ordered a new distributor cap and rotor arm from the local parts shop the guy there looked under my bonnet for some reference number but the rotor arm that he ordered is too small and won't fit. The distributor cap fractured when my neighbour fitted it there was obviously a fault with the cap for it to do that once fitted it fractured as soon as he fitted it we also fitted new HT leads at the same time. What's the best place to order spare parts for a Renault Supercinq? The Coolant Temperature Sensor was ordered from a car parts co selling on Ebay they asked for the reg of my car to ensure that they were sending me the correct part. I also bought a new battery from Halfords for it last year which they fitted.

Once my Supercinq has started and been driven for a while starting is no problem its just like this when it is first started from cold.

Back