Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking for a Renault 4 for Mongol Rally!

RuffianDick

Enthusiast
This is my first post so hello to everyone!

Myself and a friend will be driving to Mongolia in July next year as part of the Mongol Rally (www.mongolrally.com). If you havnt heard of this then essentially it is 300 teams driving from Hyde Park London to Ulan Bataar in Mongolia in cars with an engine size of 1L or less!

We have a place on the rally and are now looking for a car, the lovely Renault 4 being one of our top choices if we can get one.

So here are our criteria..
-must be in good running order, or not need to much work to get it running reliably.
-bodywork, condition not important
-welding work we can do ourselves so can afford to go for one that needs a bit of work
-engine, 1L or less
-ideally LHD, but would look at RHD also

What sort of price do you think we should expect to find one for considering we can do any welding ourselves and the condition of the bodywork/interior isnt that important? it just needs to run well (preferably all the way to mongolia!!).

If anyone has one to sell that meets what we are looking for then please PM me, or reply to this.

By the way, we spent some time in Colombia a few months ago and saw these great cars EVERYWHERE!

Cheers for any help and advice you can give.
Rich

If the entry is strict, then the largest standard engine found in the R4 is the 1108cc, installed in the later GTL versions. The earlier cars had smaller engines, although I think that outside of the UK, TL versions (smaller engines) were made until the early 1990's too. (In France, the last years of the GTL and TL were called 'Clan' and 'Savanne'). Good to see interest in the 4. I'm sure others with more knowledge will be able to help you.

I think you can go over the limit slightly, you have to give an extra £100 to your charity for every 100cc over the limit. Its frowned upon, but seeing as its an older car I think we would be forgiven :)

Ideally we still want a sub 1000cc car though.

Just to remind you that you can find a 956cc (late TL) and fit 1108cc pistons/liners (noone can tell from the outside). Or vice versa, fit a 956cc engine plate on a 1108cc engine!
Good luck with the R4 search, and the rally!

Mongol Rally - R4 Trophy

Why don't you go to France and get one of the several R4s for sale that have already been prepared and run on the R4 Trophy that the students do in Marocco. I have only seen photos, of course, but they always look extremely workmanlike and have useful things like special sump guards and other protective measures for driving in rough country.

I suppose that wouldn't be answer if you are supposed to do all the preparation work yourselves...?

Hey there Im doing the rally too with a Renault 4. A kind old man gave us his pride and joy for free! I couldnt believe the generosity. I've been told they are absolutely perfect for the trip.

Mongol Rally

Hi, did you find something for the rally?? I currently have a R4TL on the forum for sale (UK based south coast) plus a LHD - R4 Sinpar 4x4 for sale - this one based in France...
Maggie Murray

Yes we did find one thank you. I was waiting til I got round to getting some photos before posting an update on here.

Cheers for everyones suggestions, and hello to watercress, good to see another R4 on the rally :)

I will hopefully get some photos of the lovely new old machine on here soon.

Deep down inside this "ancient body" (me or the cars, I wonder) there is a sleek R4 beastie dying to get out the do a rally like this or something........hmmmm!!!
Wishing you and Waterkress great luck and fun - and looking forward to photos and postings.
Maggie

Back