Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking for garage in woodgreen m22 area

renault4mad

Enthusiast
Evening..
Question for Malcolm mainly or anyone in London

A ebay customer of mine is looking to have his timing belt done on his 2 ltr Laguna but is finding it difficult to find a garage who is not ripping him off.
Do you work on other cars Malcolm or just the 4s..are you even in London?

He lives in the woodgreen area m22???

If anyone knows of a sensible priced garage (i know its london) it would be most appricated (spelt wrong)

cheers

Andrew

I don't work on anything. The renault 4 garage thing was a bad choice of words that referred to the garage where the stuffed cat and frog repair my own Renaults. That choice of words has caused me a load of trouble.

Don't know of a decent garage. MrReno can't be far from London. He's involved in modern Renaults and knows his stuff.

thank you for the compliment Malcolm :D

much apreciated the thought, BUT the main reason i am on here is my dispair at trying to repair more modern renaults
my current policy is NON to all 16v petrol engined renaults (which means pretty much everything made 1998 on )
problem on 16v engine is no key way on crank sprocket or pulley so even changing belt driven w pump is risky if not impossible without corect tooling and experience
SWIFT motors who do my mots 01903 230017 will probably charge £450 inc pump and belt/tensioner kit
i get offered 2 or 3 a week 2000 ,2001 etc cars with 60 or 70 thousand miles and broken belts but as second hand values drop on older lagunas who will spend the money ?? :eek:

mind you if it is 8v engine belt change should be much cheaper as simpler design do you know how old laguna is Andrew ?

best keep a renault 4 much simpler apart from the rust !! paul

ps wonder how many of the older clios that are now going to all the ex R4 owners in france will have had regular belt changes ?

hi,

its the F3R 8v engine.... like the old 1721cc engine so water pump is not run by the timing belt..

16v timing belt changes....i love doing them...2 hours with new pump aswell.
Mind you i do have the crank and cam locking tools.

andrew

hi andrew
would of thought most people buying new service parts on ebay are diy type and F3r engine is no great challenge compared to 16v !! cant believe there is no one prepared to replace it at reasonable cost

having bought bits off you most garages will load up labour to compensate for not earning profit on parts so will normally quote for whole job

i am reluctant to fit parts new( or s/h) suplied elsewhere in case of problems of who blames who if anything goes wrong
good luck with your ebay shop as its pretty competitive out there and not every body will pay for quality
ps keep thinking of buying locking tools for 16v but plenty of work on older stuff at moment

cheers paul (60 miles south of london )

i know a guy whos a top mechanic and a mot tester
he will do it as hes fitting a kit to th ewifes Scenic this weekend!

not London though,but near to the main line train station to Waterloo

hi,
do you have his name and phone number....

dont know how far waterloo to were my mate lives but he could ring him for a price

cheers

andrew

i will ask him for you
any other details i might need engine type etc
has he got all the belt and pulleys in a kit? if so he just wants a price to fit them?

Back