Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

looking to buy my 1st 4-surrey will travel...

MATTT

Enthusiast
...within reason :)

hi all
just joined up as im looking for a useable car to buy if anyone has soemthing or hears of one could you let me know

bit of a cheek but i was wondering if anyone who uses this forum has one i could look over 1st as i need to see how big the boot area is with the seats folded down as i need it for work,and just to see what they are like up close,as ive not been to see any yet but dont want to be a "tyre kicker"! when one comes up for sale

ive already got a anglia van and mini clubman estate so im guessing it wont be too much of a shock to drive one as a everyday car?

looking through the buyers guide i assume the larger engined 1100cc is the one to go for?
and lastly whats the heater like defrosting in the cold frosty mornings?
i used a allegro estate last winter and the heater was the best out of all my old car by far

thanks in advance for any advice
matt

The boot on a 4 is a tidy size with the seats up - enough for a small shopping trip. With the seats folded forward you could buy a couple of small shelving units from IKEA and fit your food shopping on top. With the back seat out (4 bolts) you could fit a couple of decent sized flat pack jobbies, and with the front P/S seat out (another 4 bolts) you could get a flat pack wardrobe in with the matching bedside cupboards, and your shopping.

The 1100 in proper tune is quite a lively little car though it won't shred any tyres! The suspension will come as a nice surprise after the Mini and Anglia, provided you get used to the feeling that you'll fall out of the windows when taking corners at speed. The steering is nice and light and despite (or is it because) of the soft suspension and light weight, the handling is pretty good.

The heater is absolutely brilliant - the only car I've had that's bettered it is my Vauxhall Senator but that has vents everywhere, 2 big blowers and air-con.

Maintenance is easy due to the whole of the front end (inner and outer wings and bonnet) bolting off for major operations and if you really need to, the body unbolts with 13(?) bolts.

Lastly if you do feel the car isn't quite what you'd want, engine and gearbox parts are easy to upgrade, suspension can be fiddled with easily enough and a lot of other bits (alloys, seats etc) can be used from a mk1 R5 to bling it up.

There ain't nothing you can't do to a Renault 4!

i still want one then ! lol
i still havent managed to a look around one yet mind

thanks for the reply and info

Last edited:
With the back seat out the floor is about 1 M square X 900mm high and it will take 200kg but will sit a bit low with it. I regularly use my GTL for work and am always surprised how much it will take.
Start looking
Allan

r4 squint

Matt, i have a '85 GTL which i am restoring, on my drive: its immobile, but you're welcome round -e-mail me privately: at least you'll be able to see all the rust-prone areas....i'm in Leatherhead....ade

ive been to see one thanks to ade so i know the rusty bits now!

i might well come over as ive not actually been out in one
if you want to pm me your number
thanks
matt

hey matt
did you get sorted out on this or are you still looking?
might have a C reg low mileage GTL for sale. currently near Tring, Bucks.
please let me know
Napoleon

r4

hi there
i have bought one but it needs a fair bit to get it back on the road so would still be interested>
can you give me some more details,condition colour and price to start with
and if you have any photos that would be great

my email is TVRCHESS@AOL.COM

thanks
matt

Back