Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mk 1 5 Tailgate lock

Andy McGhee

Enthusiast
Hi All
Does anyone have a tailgate lock (with key) for an early 5 they don't need?

Which bit do you need as it comes in several pieces and it is virtually impossible to get the outer black plastic button surround either out of tailgate or if you manage that you can't get the cap piece off which houses lock plunger
Renault used to supply all the pieces separately at one point and then in a kit
Only way i used to get them of scrap cars so they could be refitted complete to another one was by carefully cutting tailgate skin to release the push in tabs
However careful use of exact size thin wall tubing slid over the whole assembly inside tailgate you maybe lucky

Thanks for that. I discovered how difficult they are to remove yesterday afternoon, when I gave up and decided it'd be best to leave the plunger in place!
The problem is that the plunger is loose, which has caused a really annoying rattle - I think this was a fairly common problem on early 5s. Is there an easy way of stopping the rattle?
If you have the two plastic parts of the mechanism, I'd be interested.

There is supposed to be a spring inside there the mechanism is the same setup as r6 and r 12
Not that there are any more of them about in scrapyards either ☺

This part turned out to be the culprit - I noticed a small crack in it yesterday, but it's completely had it now.
P1000340.JPG P1000338.JPG

Does anyone have a spare one?

Back