Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

need suspension numbers confirming

R4bob

I'm having difficulty in confirming what numbers historically apply to my rear suspension units. I wondered if anyone had access to them and would help. Further, if anyone had on disk or something a copy of microfiche for R4's they were willing to sell, either in part or a full catalogue?

I've a feeling I'm going to need lots of referencing part numbers in the future, so this would be of great assistance to me.

Thank you.

Here are my car details for reference:

Diamond: R1123 5663309

Oval: 43600 1814888

Numbers in question (have they ever related to my car):

Are you talking about shock absorbers? If so there is loads of info on the forum - carry out a search! You can also get them from your local motor factor.

Hi Steve,

Its the arm and assembly part numbers that I am after. The wheel arch, particularly (RH) has suffered water damage on the mount areas and the pivot end has rotted away as well.

I'm going this year for restoration of the underneath (parts pending).

Many thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob
Here's a few pages from the PR1005 parts catalogue that will help. Link to pages (too big to upload)
It's not a good scan so I find some of the numbers are a bit of a guess.

I'm no expert yet on following the references on these manuals yet but this is what I figure from your info.

On the first page, part 5 (RH assembly?) corresponds to part number 77 01 455 161
On third page, part 1 (LH assembly) corresponds to part number 77 012 461 447

They're clearly different arms. Now, this is the bit I'm not certain interpret correctly - part number 77 01 455 161 has (a) against it. The table on the next page (p2) says this is for R1123 from serial number 1742852 to 1785387.

77 01 461 447 is (e) for R1123 2110001 onwards (at least as far as this manual goes (1982).

The numbers you quote for diamond and oval plates - are they the right way around? Isn't it the oval plate that starts with the model number R1123? If so, that would make your serial no 5663309 line up with the 77 01 461 447. I'm thinking that simply by comparing the diagram with your car you'll be able to decide which numbers are for you. BTW, the later arm is cast iron rather than pressed metal.

just to finish off - your last two numbers might be 1005 for the parts manual number and 7129 might be the edition and page number - the last page in the extract I've included is page 129. Maybe the '7' is the edition - my copy is edition 11, the last which was in 1982. This is pure speculation on my part here.

Finally, I think '448' might be an abbreviation for 77 01 461 448 which is the RH assembly.

Hope this helps, Geoff

Hi Steve,

Its the arm and assembly part numbers that I am after. The wheel arch, particularly (RH) has suffered water damage on the mount areas and the pivot end has rotted away as well.

I'm going this year for restoration of the underneath (parts pending).

Many thanks,

Bob

You're unlikely to find brand new parts so the best thing is to fit a good complete secondhand unit. Chassis repair panels are available but from mainly European suppliers. I would suggest that you look at the car very carefully and make notes of what needs to be done and the parts required before you start dismantling. Do post some photos on here so we can advise. There is a wealth of info on the forum including photos, hints and tips so spend some time searching as you will gain so much knowledge. Hopefully you have a Haynes manual to hand.

Back