Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New Owner

Ash

Enthusiast
Hi Ladies and Gents

Have just purchased a 1981 R4 and am really pleased with the condition of it and I'm quite looking forward to working on it, I've emailed pictures of it to various friends who all think it's fantastic.

As far as I can tell both front footwells are rotten but apart from that it seems in good nick

Will let you know as I progress..............or regress!!

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=160&stc=1&d=1150748849

• DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 215
One step ahead of me!

Welcome to the forum ash and congratulations on being a step ahead of me! I am yet to buy my first R4 but hope to follow suit soon!

I have to say that externally your R4 looks very nice - however i hope to find a much earlier model than yours!

Enjoy your motoring!

Thanks for the mail with photos of this one. One thing I forgot to ask - it looks for all the world like a GTL with the grey plastic side trims and bumpers, but it looks like it has external door hinges which were more of an earlier TL thing.

W reg - that's going to be somewhere near the transition between the two - is it some weird transitional spec?

Yeah it is a bit of a weird one it seems to be a mixture of new and old, it is a GTL what does that signify? Only drove it on to the drive but..............its a big jump from the 993/911!!!!

Ash said:
its a big jump from the 993/911!!!!

Don't be too hard on the Porsche. The Renault might be more practical, have more luggage space, better fuel economy, fit through tighter gaps, be more reliable, have more comfy ride and comfier seats, better visibility ..... hmm, maybe you have a point. :D

yeah........I see your point clem, but I travel long distances for work and I need a car that belts along and has ABS, Aircon (well ok, for two weeks a year) and is totally reliable........and the old P car does all that and has Character...... well, rather teutonic character.......I have to say that the 993 was the last Aircooled Porsche and has been 100% reliable and has that reputation, but the 14-30 mpg is a real pisser! (14-16 in town)but it's the best car I've had in a long time........and it's quite old, so still has amazing accountant proof build quality! However every one has told me they're happy I now have a 'proper' car (R4)...............ha ha

...front grill...

Hello Ash - I am old and my eyesight isnt up to much but my blind dog Rover looked at your beautiful new Renaut pic and told me it looked brill except it needs a new front grill - "why dont you give him your spare one" said Rover.....so any time you are SE London, the grill is yours.
Renault 4's - What a Pain

Last edited by a moderator:
front grill

Thanks very Much Ian........That'll be fantastic.... I thought I'd find that hard to replace I'll be in touch

Back