Enthusiast
its here....what we have all been waiting 4....:o

• ft 4.jpg
    ft 4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 16,554
  • new r4.jpg
    new r4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 16,186
I like it. You can see it's based on our beloved 4, but with a very modern twist. Could give the Fiat 500 a run for it's money if the price was right. A Gordini version would be good, competition for the Abarth 500. Yes I reckon it could be a hit if......:cool:

I like the little rear 1/4 windows... but i think like Brian says...great seller if....

Well it's a start. I like the back, reckon they've hit the nail on the head there. For a modern reconstruction it's pretty good. Think they need to do a little more work on the front though...

Will the Twingo's sun roof still fit? ;)

:eek: That one looks like the queens royal car

So was the orange car the winner of the design contest?

Not bad but John Doe couldn't be more right, it's like a modern Dauphine up front!

I quite dislike the current trend of automotive industry, that is to re-create legendary cars of the past. But this re-creation is only skin-deep. I would rather see a modern Renault based on the R4 concept (simplicity, light weight, off-road capability, low price) that will not necessarily look like a modern R4.

I'm with Angel on this. I'd rather see something genuinely new rather than something like another Fiat 500 where the car has a look of the original but none of the features - packaging, clever design, price etc.

I'd say the nearest we have to a new R4 is probably a Dacia Logan Estate in as much as it is relatively simple, robust and cheap.

I want to see a modern car with easily removable, wipe cleanable mats ! Who needs carpet in there car !

I quite dislike the current trend of automotive industry, that is to re-create legendary cars of the past. But this re-creation is only skin-deep. I would rather see a modern Renault based on the R4 concept (simplicity, light weight, off-road capability, low price) that will not necessarily look like a modern R4.

I disagree with this statement.

Some of the best architecture makes reference to monuments from the past. This does not lessen the integrity of the new design.

I don't see why cars should be any different than buildings in this regard.

The Porsche 911 has maintained a similar appearance since inception. This does not make it a pastiche.

The Dacia Logan Estate appears to have been designed to be as anonymous and disposable as possible. It may be ultra-practical but it will never be a classic.
To say that this is the nearest thing to an R4 in the current Renault line-up is a Dacia Logan is to reduce the Renault 4 to a mere appliance.

I've always felt with these new interpretations of old models would be better if they followed the parts of the design which made those old models the cars they were. For the new Fiat 500, I felt they should have had a car of similar size to the original and put a 500 engine in the back of it (preferably 2 cylinders and air cooled!). The new Beetle should have been rear engined, air cooled and rwd. The new Mini is not 'mini', surely the idea should have been to make a new car of that size?

I think the manufacturers use of lot of what cars they are currently making and just design a new body in the style of the old classic. I agree the body should be in that style. Wouldn't it be great though if they started totally fresh and kept to the true characters of these cars.

So, what should a new Renault 4 feature? A similar style body to the original (which those on the link do), I'd also like to see a bonnet opening from back to front, a gearchange on the dash and most of all see lots of lean when cornering!

You are right Beige Belgian, but no one would buy such a car (except maybe some of us!).
I was thinking exactly the same as you about the new Mini, but imagine it in the size of its "father". It would have to be as small as, say, a Subaru Vivio, and would have to belong in a segment that is neither popular nor suited to every car buyer. Now the car fits every buyer, and is one of the few cars with equal success to men and women buyers.
I have met and discussed with some new Mini owners, and they all think they have a piece of history, a car with a long rally pedigree and so on...At least we can admit that BMW has very talented people in their marketing department...:-D

That one is definitely my favourite:

copy_1_front_view_2.jpg

copy_0_rear_view_1.jpg

David

R4 was a revolution in car scenery, for is wide range of use, space organization, nice shape and mechanical innovation.
All that this revivals have to offer is a spread of vintage fascinating and, under the bonnet, modern engines.
In my opinion they are for those who like the appeal of classic but are not able/ready/disposed to have to do with noisy, slow and care-needing old cars...
Surely I do agree that the thing I will look for searching for a r4 heir is her working/adventurous spirit, and I find some of that in Renault Kangoo, but without the originality and the breath of innovation brought from r4 in car's panorama.
And, last but not least, i think that modern cars tends to be the more equal one to another the more time passes, and this trend of repeating new version of old cars is a symptom of lack of imagination and of the needing for some spread of innovation...
Maybe the new r4 could have some sort of meaning as the first total electric car, or something similar...

These models are all entrants in the competition right?
I think the premise of bringing back the R4 should primarily factor the raison'd'etre of the original, and apart from some styling move beyond that superficial relevance to the materials/technical innovations available. The car should therefore be advanced in terms of propulsion-electric, and moreover present affordability as primary. The blue jean car again.
Porsche kept their lines because they had it right from the beginning, Citroen has been disappointing badging a car a DS when there is no connection.
At least Fiat thought outside the box. But I see no reason why a new R4 should resemble the original to the degree these models pose, it seems entirely archaic in thinking.
The solution? A little box on wheels! Or something.

Back