Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Newbie owner R5

Alexander Stornes

Hi guys

I have a 1987 Renault 5 1,7 GTE, you probably know what car it is, but I have trouble finding parts for it. I want to maybe get a few more bhp out of it, and I was wondering if you maybe knew where I could find some performance parts for them. I can only find parts for the Turbo model, and this car is extremely rare her in Norway, so there are not any people here who could help me with this. Hope to hear from you :)

Here is a picture of the car

Hello!
I have owned one GTE for more than 10 years 2001-2014 (until few months back) And it is really rare car now-days in whole europe.

You will have big trouble to find performance parts for that engine because car did not get "performance car" status.

In Croatia people use to change that 1.7 atmo engine with 1.7 turbo engine from volvo 460. It is basically same engine that was pumped with power using soft turbo ( 0,2 bar if i remember correctly - volvo did this changes) to get some 107KS

So if you would like some more power than it is bolt on to swap engine from volvo 460 to R5.

Everything else (suspension, steering...) you can take from GT Turbo model. It is GT Turbo car (body, steering, front/rear suspension, interior...) wit 1.7 atmo (multipoint injection) engine.

I have never wanted to get more power (it was enough power for me - everyday driver so needed to be deliverable at all time ) so i can not help you to much.

As start you can try to change camshaft from some other renault/volvo 1.7 petrol engine.
It is renaults F engine family and you can try to use parts for any engine in that family.
To be precise F3N-702 (or F3N-722) was engine code that was put inside GTE with JB3-033 (or JB3-019) gearbox

I would left it as it is because it is so rare now and yours looking nit.

summer setting
DSC00653.JPG

winter setting
P1000049.JPG

Thank you for a good answer. I was really just hoping for a new manifold and exhaust. I will try to look up this engine, these are very rare in Norway, and most of them came with the 2 litre petrol engine.

I am affraid that for exhaust manifold you should visit local renault dealer. Part no should be 7700734783 and it is made out of pipes.
This is how mine look
P1010665.jpg

And exhaust you should be able to find at your local exhaust garage.

For example walker have whole exhaust from manifold to the rear silencer.

Exhaust manifold was on car when i bought it. I believe that it is original one from factory.

On my car previous owner took down cat so i had only long pipe from front exhaust elbow (that goes after exhaust manifold) to rear silencer.
Silencer was ISSAP and pipe was out of stainless steel.
Lasted for long.....long time

Back