Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Noise from rear suspension area - help please!

Lobster

Enthusiast
OK people, quick bit of online diagnostics required...

1985 4 GTL.

If I'm alone in the car then no problem, but if I have a passenger or any weight then when I go around right corners (so the car leans to the left) I have a banging / scraping / rubbing noise from the n/s/r corner. Tyre doesn't appear to be rubbing on anything as there are no marks on it or anything else. No problem if I go round left hand corners though.

Also, if I jack the entire rear of the car up so both rear wheels are off the ground, the n/s/r wheel sits about 4/5 cm closer to the ground (lower down) than the o/s/r.

Otherwise car drives pretty much ok.

I'm wondering about a duff n/s/r shock absorber? If so, I think I have a pair somewhere which might just get thrown on before I set off for Thenay :eek:

Your advice would be appreciated.

noise

could be that some part of the torsion bar assembly has worked loose...ade

Yes, worth trying another shock absorber plus checking if the torsion bar inner bearing (the one that screws to the chassis leg) is not loose. Do remove the rear hub as well and check the wheel bearings.

The rear damper rear mounting bushes have steel cups either side of the rubber. If the diameter is too large (as supplied with just about every replacement damper) they rub against the side of the mounting and make a horrible noise.

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated.

Pulled the rear wheel and hub off, bearing was perhaps a touch loose but not excessive so sorted that. Torsion bar mounts all appear to be ok. Went out for a test drive but its still there.

I've a couple of things to try in the morning. Whilst there is no evidence of any rubbing, I'll stick it back on the original wheels rather than the fergats just on the off chance that that makes a difference. Think I have a pair of new dampers somewhere but not really got chance to fit them before Thenay.

F6 is on stand by.

Lobster, if you do end up taking the van, don't tell P&O about it being a commercial, you'll get away with it I reckon and only have to pay the same price as a car then ;)

I very much doubt it, you aren't carrying commercial goods, and I used to use the tunnel on weekly basis like this in a modern Renault Master for 12 months.

Besides which if you do have to pay, you get a cabin, a meal and unlimited tea or coffee ;)

I had a noise coming from my rear o/s wheel and it turned out to be a rumbling bearing, when I took the rear wheel off the bearing looked and felt all right but I changed it any way, after I changed it everything was OK again.

If you have bigger Tyres on than standard then it will probably be rubbing somewhere ;)

Back