Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil filter

Elwood

Enthusiast
On messing about with the quatrelle I have discovered that I have no oil filter. Am I going blind, or is it disguised as something else? I have what looks like a circle where one would fit I think. If I indeed don't have one, can I fit one there and if so how? Or can I just not see it?

Some early Renault 4s were NOT fitted with an oil filter, which meant a "fairly frequent" oil change. If memory serves, early 4s had an oil change every 1,000 miles (about once a month if the car was used normally). Remember oils weren't as good as they now are, but do bear in mind that (in my opinion as an "old school" mechanic) one can't change the oil too often!

Thanks so much for replying. well it is a 1978 import. So it should be somewhere. I'll look again
Maybe I'm staring at it without knowing

Oil filter is normally rear RHS of the block far enough down to make it fiddly to remove. Early cars sometimes didn't have them. If there is a blanking plate you need the adapter to screw in and can fit one.

Thanks so much for replying. well it is a 1978 import. So it should be somewhere. I'll look again
Maybe I'm staring at it without knowing
Sorry, I didn't realise your car's a1978 one.The filter is very slim, and, as Malcom says, somewhat awkward to remove. A filter strap would assist! Where in the South West are you?

Thanks for replying fellas. I'm gonna have a dig about around there. I've read a few times that it is on the left, which it isn't. This is what I love about having this car, nothing is as it should be. I'm near Weston super Mare. I've had the car for 12 months as a daily runner and it is still bobbling along and hasn't stopped once. I am in love.

Back