Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil seals on gearbox, drive shaft side

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hi,
while my chassis is waiting for the necessary welding, I thought I'd do all round pottering on my car and swap in the oil seals that I had waiting for some time.
So far I have removed the drive shaft and am looking at the gearbox from the side ... how do I get at the oil seals ... somebody suggested the indented plate in which the drive shaft sits can be screwed out - if so is there a special tool fo it?

Thanks
Robert

Robert - it's all in the Haynes manual. It's what I used when I changed my drive shaft seals and the primary shaft seal. The 'special tool' is an old pair of tin snips!

Steve is right for the special tool and usually they unscrew fairly easily once loosened. When you come to put it back be very careful, they are easy to cross thread and once that has happened they are almost impossible to get back in.

Hmm ... I wish I had taken pictures ... you can see the plate I'm talking about in Rutger-Peer's pictures on this page of his restoration thread:
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3702&highlight=gearbox&page=7
Thanks for all the hints - Steve, so I take a pair of snips and move the blades outwards until they connect with the indented plate and catch in the "fins" on opposite sides?
I can't find the relevant information in my copy of Haynes - the only bit that seems to talk about the oil seals I want to change talks about six set screws, and I haven't found them yet.

That's right Robert. The photo in my Haynes shows the 'special tin snip' tool so not sure what version you have.

Firstly the area must be scrupulously clean - no dirt must enter the gearbox.
Basically, undo the locking screw. Use a dot punch to mark the exact postion of the bearing retainer because it must go back in exactly the same position. Do one side at a time. Do make sure that you have the parts needed - two oil seals and two 'O' rings. When you have unscrewed the retainer clean it well and remove any debris - use a high pressure air line. Make sure you fit the seal the right way round!!! Then fit the 'O' ring and smear the it with grease - then screw the retainer back into the gearbox. It really is a very quick job that can go wrong if you don't follow a few basic rules.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, Steve!
I found it in the supplement pages ... including the picture you mention!
So far I only have the oil seals as such, not the O-Rings which I'll get.
Robert

Steve ... could you please play the part of "Lord of the O-Rings" and find out the parts numbers of the O-Rings for me ... they're not carried by usual suppliers "Franzose" and "reno4er" ... so I'll probably have to order them via Renault.

Thanks! Robert

Robert - sorry I don't have the numbers but I do remember some discussion about these parts a couple of years ago. I have a feeling that they are no longer supplied but Renault should be able to find the number to verify this. If so, you may need to try and make a pair - you need the material and some superglue. Years ago I remember seeing an 'O' ring kit for sale.

Sorry for jumping in your thread Gentlemen!
Mi car (Robespierre) is also leaking on the shafts. Do any body can help me with the size, maker, Type? I am not confident on getting an original spare part locally, so chances are something standard may do the job.
"O" rings are not an issue. as there are some kits for making them locally as Steve mentioned.

Best regards

Javier

The seal size is 36x54x8(assuming you have the 354 gearbox). Any oil seal will do, better still if it is double-lipped, and even better if it is made of Viton.

Robert, I must had given the o-ring dimension at some time in this forum. I cannot find it anywhere in my notes now, I will try to find an old one to measure tomorrow in the workshop.

Angel,

Thank you for the info. My car's gear box is a 334, does it uses the same seals you just referred?

Regards

A GTL would have the 354 box?
Reno4er have the seals for both boxes and give the dimensions as

(28x45x8) Getriebe Typ 334
(36x54x7,5) Getriebe Typ 354

angel, if you could measure the o-rings as well that would be great!

Robert

Back