Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

¡Ola! from Spain... and advice, please

PhilAx

Hi all, I live in the mountains to the east of Málaga (Google 29755, Spain, to see) and I'm looking for a Renault 4 to buy. I have a few questions, the answers are probably embedded in this forum somewhere. :rolleyes:

This is an example of what's available:

http://www.milanuncios.com/coches-clasicos/renault-4l-27408603.htm

The owner says that a seat cover is torn (probably no matching fabric available?). Wheel trims are missing.

The car will spend most of its life @ 600metres above sea level with occasional trips down to the coast via 17kms of uneven roads with over 150 bends, some are steep hairpins, all are slippery.

I'd prefer to fit grippy 150/80 tyres, so which stock renault wheels will fit?
Is it worth increasing the main jet size for the altitude?
Any recommendations on electronic ignition conversions?
Any other recommendations to help the car suit its new home?

Thanks, Saludos Cordiales,:smile:

Phil Axarquia.

I'we had fitted 150/80 wheels. But as I took over the car from my grandfather, but then I fitted again 145.

tyres

Hi, and yes, the standard rims are too narrow for 155 tyres but the 135 tyres available just don't grip enough and the car isn't heavy enough for BIG wheels and tyres...:)

New car

Why not look for a 4x4 Rodeo - it would be ideal ! Open topped and grippy. Several available on leboncoin in France

Thanks, the bathtub Rodeo is a good car itself, I like the Mehari too...but I already have an open top Suzuki Samurai (fun on-road as well as off!), a Kinroad 650 road-legal buggy and a couple of motorcycles (all modified to remove unnecessary bits), so I want something with a bit more weather protection ;)
I like minimalism, I want a car that can manage an occasional round trip to the airport with 3 people, can be simply maintained and repaired for another 100.000kms, has little in the way of electronics and electrics, airbags etc don't really interest me. The street where I live is very narrow and steep, on the local roads 100kph in a car is only possible on a few straight bits so the 4-Latas is my choice, but it will be fitted with a full-length Twingo sunroof asap .

Back