Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Petrol tank leak

clasicmfb

Enthusiast
I fitted a new old stock petrol tank to my '67 4 about 4 years ago but in recent months there has been a slight weep coming from (I think) the joint where the filler pipe connects to the tank. The leak continues even with only 5 litres or so of fuel in the tank and the car parked on a level surface, so I suspect the problem isn't anything to do with the top half of the tank.

I just can't find the time to take the tank out at the moment so I tried applying Petro Patch putty all around the joint. It didn't make much difference - now I'm stuck with the hardened putty round the repair area.

I'm think of buying an Oyltite Stik from Frosts but before I do, I thought I'd better ask whether anyone has had any success with this product, as it's not cheap.

If you mean where the filler pipe goes into the tank I had to repair this as well.

The joint is soldered and can be resoldered with a blow torch and some solder. (Ensure the tank is fully empty and vented first!!!)

I used Fixit bonding putty which cost £9.99p from Homebase or Wilkinsons, worked on my petrol tank which had a small hole in it.

Back