Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 1967 carburettor & fuel tank

R4dogleg

Enthusiast
Could anyone let me know if they have a carburettor & fuel tank for a 1967 Renault 4 please? Or where I can get them from in UK at a reasonable price?
Many thanks, Will

IMG_6866.jpeg

Hi Will

If your existing carburettor is still on the vehicle, an image of the carburettor with the air filter housing removed would be useful. In addition, there should be a make stamped on it 'Solex' or 'Zenith' for example and numbers below the make which also would be useful in identifying your carburettor.

Hi Will

If your existing carburettor is still on the vehicle, an image of the carburettor with the air filter housing removed would be useful. In addition, there should be a make stamped on it 'Solex' or 'Zenith' for example and numbers below the make which also would be useful in identifying your carburettor.
Hi, many thanks for your response. Here’s a photo…

IMG_0737.jpeg

Hi Will
Does it say 'Solex 22-26 DIS' on the top cover? (see arrow - forgive me for copying your photo!)
Solex 22-26.jpeg
What's the problem with your carb?

If it is a Solex 22-26 DIS, I've just found this in the garage:

20231004_153106.jpg20231004_153052.jpg20231004_153101.jpg

I know you wanted to find one in the UK, but if you have a French connection, there's this:

Last edited:
Many thanks Andy, you’re very helpful. The car is with a garage in London and the mechanic says it needs a new carburettor and fuel tank. Not being mechanically minded, I have to take his word for it. He’s also fitting new break shoes and a few other things.
Do you think it would be better if I buy the new carb from France? Would it be genuine Renault or china copy? Many thanks. Will

Hi Will

Carburettors can be serviced and individual components tweaked. They do on occasions need changing due to wear. Fuel tanks can be cleaned out and only need changing when completely rusty/perforated.

Hi Will

Carburettors can be serviced and individual components tweaked. They do on occasions need changing due to wear. Fuel tanks can be cleaned out and only need changing when completely rusty/perforated.
Thank you very much for the advise. The mechanic seems adamant I need a new carburettor. Not sure what to do.

Hi Will
Does it say 'Solex 22-26 DIS' on the top cover? (see arrow - forgive me for copying your photo!)
View attachment 32284
What's the problem with your carb?

If it is a Solex 22-26 DIS, I've just found this in the garage:

View attachment 32285View attachment 32286View attachment 32287

I know you wanted to find one in the UK, but if you have a French connection, there's this:
Hi Andy, have you used this French parts supplier yourself? I’ve been advised by the mechanic to buy the new one. I wonder how long they take to send such items.

Hi

I just read the ad in French and it states 'd'origine, pas copie' (Original, not a copy). It also states that it is a completely refurbished carburettor but not a new one. I cannot vouch for the seller though as I have not had any dealings with them.

Hi Andy, have you used this French parts supplier yourself? I’ve been advised by the mechanic to buy the new one. I wonder how long they take to send such items.
Hi again Will - sorry for the late reply.
No, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the seller. I was just surprised to find a reconditioned genuine carburettor on sale - they're pretty thin on the ground these days. It'd be worth asking your mechanic exactly what the problem with the carb is, and then getting in touch with these people: https://www.carburetterexchange.co.uk/contact/ . They'd be able to rebuild it for you.
You'd be lucky to find a new 26-litre tank in the UK. I have a used one, but really need to hang on to it as a spare. The main problem with reconditioning a rusty tank and sealing it with POR15 is the time it takes to do it properly. It's not that difficult to do it yourself, but it's extremely time-consuming and messy; if you're paying someone else to do it, it'll be expensive, and you have to be able to trust whoever's doing it to do a decent job. Try looking up POR15 on here.
If the tank is very rusty, there's a good chance that the sender will need replacing too (the seal will certainly need to be changed).
Good luck!

Hi again Will - sorry for the late reply.
No, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the seller. I was just surprised to find a reconditioned genuine carburettor on sale - they're pretty thin on the ground these days. It'd be worth asking your mechanic exactly what the problem with the carb is, and then getting in touch with these people: https://www.carburetterexchange.co.uk/contact/ . They'd be able to rebuild it for you.
You'd be lucky to find a new 26-litre tank in the UK. I have a used one, but really need to hang on to it as a spare. The main problem with reconditioning a rusty tank and sealing it with POR15 is the time it takes to do it properly. It's not that difficult to do it yourself, but it's extremely time-consuming and messy; if you're paying someone else to do it, it'll be expensive, and you have to be able to trust whoever's doing it to do a decent job. Try looking up POR15 on here.
If the tank is very rusty, there's a good chance that the sender will need replacing too (the seal will certainly need to be changed).
Good luck!
Thank you Andy. Apologies for the late reply. Will

Back