Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL running rough

DEREK SLINGSBY

Enthusiast
Can anyone offer advice please, It used to run great then slowly became hesitant and lumpy the more you accelerate whilst on the move. New points and condensor fitted, cleaned and checked plugs which were 0.9mm but still runs the same. It runs better on choke and I noticed that a pipe on the rear of the carb to manifold had come off.

Maybe your carb is blocked. Remove it and was it in cleaner (or petrol) Or you can try a quick trick of revving it as you place your hand over the top (venturi) it may suck it through.
Bon Chance

michael

Thanks mike for reply, I will try the 'hand over' first tomorrow and if no joy then can I remove any jets and clean them whilst the card is still on?

I noticed that a pipe on the rear of the carb to manifold had come off.

That'll would do it! Is the pipe in any condition to be put back on? Otherwise try blocking the hole into the carb and see if that makes any difference.

Hello

The pipe that is connected to the rear of the carb and runs down to the manifold ,is it posible to remove it and plug the holke in the carb.

If so what would you reccomend to plug it with. Also the same pipe that comes out of the rocker box cover, could anything be done to tidy that up.:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Can anyone offer advice please, It used to run great then slowly became hesitant and lumpy the more you accelerate whilst on the move. New points and condensor fitted, cleaned and checked plugs which were 0.9mm but still runs the same. It runs better on choke and I noticed that a pipe on the rear of the carb to manifold had come off.
Hi Derek, a lot of people seem to have this problem with their R4s. The plastic Tpiece splits with age,all that heat,so I removed it,but kept the metal sleeve. This I blanked of with short length of rubber pipe and small bolt plus hose clips. The lower pipe from the manifold was done the same way,and the breather pipe from the rocker box was replaced with a longer pipe down to the chassis, like cars in the good old days used to have. That should eliminate any air leaks,which might be causing the problem. If you still have to use the choke to get smooth running,run a 1mm drill bit through the main-jet. Hope this helps you,all the best,Brian.:cool:

Back