Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4's in the US? Possible? Doable? Legal?

DavidN

Enthusiast
Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any R4's on the road in the US of A.

I'm planning on relocating to the US within the next three Years.
As my little R4 van became more and more a family member than just a car to us, I'm thinking of taking the F6 with me.

But I have to check up-front if there is any possibility to get the car on the road in the US.
Are there any members from the US on this board?
What kind of modifications would a European (actually German) R4 need to get it to the US-streets legally?
Any hints, tips and tricks for me here?

Is it much of a conversion?
Would I need side-marker lights?
Any special bumpers?
Different headlights?
An MPH-speedometer? (And if so, could I use one of a UK model?)

Your help would be really appreciated !!!

It's a std. 1985 R4F6 van with the 1108 engine.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

David

• R4-Van.jpg
    R4-Van.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 788
i think there are three that are talked about on this site that are in the great US of A

just check with the state you are going to i guess if it is ok to do so, because my friends couldn't take their bikes to California due to eco laws.

I saw a website a while back about making hot rods road legal in certain states in the USA and they were using ancient v8's engines with catalytic converters to keep the eco people happy even tho it was a carb engine.

Hi David, I can understand why you wish to keep your F6, what a lovely van it is, and one of the family, I know just what you mean. There are at least two forum members in the States, but I've not seen them on here lately, and when I was over there back in November I heard of a chap in Virginia with a 4L. Regards Brian.

Thanks all!
I hope the US-owners will chime in here with some details and the "official steps" needed.

Meanwhile I found the Renault Owners Club of North America.
(They also have a forum, but it seems that there's not much knowledge about the Renault 4.)

Our destination will (hopefully) be Florida.
(So no problems with the restrictive Californian environmental rules.)

Cheers,

David

US car import

David,
Good day. My name is Chris Spaulding and I am a car enthusiast in the US. I have imported a number of car from England and Japan. I have a small import business to support the habit... er... hobby. Www.JDMLandCruisers.com as long as the car is 25 years or older you will be exempt from EPA and DOT regulations. These are two of the Federal agencies that regulate auto emissions and safety/crash standards. Trying to bring in anything newer would not be worth the time or money (Ralph Lauren did this with a Porsche 959 and spent a LOT of money to get the car into the country) It is best to use a Customs Broker that specializes in vehicle imports. They will complete ALL of the necessary paperwork, in advance, to get the vehicle into the US. They are inexpensive, $150, and are able to file all the paperwork electronically. You will pay 2.5% duty, actually if that is a truck without rear seats, you may need to pay 25% due to a 1970s law to cut down n the low cost import pickup trucks being imported. Drove up the cost on these to make them less desirable. If you did it yourself, you would goto several different offices and get run around by a bunch of people who don't know what they are doing...
I use Sandy Collins with Fracht Forwarding in Norfolk, VA (we weren't very original with the naming of out cities, I know). Her email is sandy.collins@fracht.com
She will be able to help you through this process and is great. To do it yourself will be more time and trouble than it is worth. I am not a regular on this forum and signed up just to answer your question. Just wanted to help out, but probably will not be checking this again, so if you have any questions drop me a line at CSSpaulding@me.com.
I found an original 1978 Renault 4L in Spain and was thinking abut buying it. I was doing some research on 4L prices in the US when I ran across your post. If I purchase the 4, I'll post some pictures. Good Luck!
Best regards,
Chris Spaulding

Last edited:
Thanks all!
I hope the US-owners will chime in here with some details and the "official steps" needed.

Meanwhile I found the Renault Owners Club of North America.
(They also have a forum, but it seems that there's not much knowledge about the Renault 4.)

Our destination will (hopefully) be Florida.
(So no problems with the restrictive Californian environmental rules.)

Cheers,

David

DavidN, You are probably in the USA now. Hope you brought your car. R4's were available in Canada, used for pizza delivery a lot. There are/were quite a few in the USA. Previous poster - Chris Spaulding - had a lot of good advice. I do not think you will be paying any tax or duty if you are bringing it over as personal effects having owned it for over a year. I actually think the time is 6 months. It used to be popular to by a Volvo, take delivery and drive around Europe and then Volvo would ship it here for you. Florida is no place for a self respecting Englishmen - too muggy and hot.

I am presently on holiday in Vermont and have been to Toronto, Washington DC, New York and Boston and I have yet to see a Renault 4 here. I did however see a handsome 2CV - red and white gingham with a yellow roof - parked on the east side of Central Park

Back