Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

r5 carb

Azazello

habitué
I read on the forum it is quite a usual thing to swap parts of a r5 to give more power to our cars. Mainly, I see, carburetors.
Does this one fit to my r4, in place of the zenith 28F? Seems to be quite similar... what have I to look for to see if it is compatible?

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/112970729.htm?ca=1_s

And above all, what should I expect from a carb swap?

I am having a look on leboncoin...

Andrea scripsit.

Whether that one is compatible or not I can't tell you although given its from a 1980 5 TL I wouldn't expect much / any difference performance wise to an R4. Even if you go down the route of swapping for a TS / TX carb (& manifold etc etc) then the power gain isn't that remarkable.

You will need to find the appropriate manifold, as stud spacing is different with the larger carb.
With these carbs you will notice better low and mid range performance as they have an acceleration pump (as opposed to 28IFs), this works wonders. In theory it should give more top end power, too, if the main restriction point in the inlet is the carb venturi.
But if you are careless with your right foot you will experience slightly higher fuel consumption. The 28IF in contrast is rather insensitive to this.

The manifold is a kind of hose from carburettor to engine, with some threaded stud on which fix the carb? Just swapping the r5 manifold or I need to make an hybrid one? The first option is quite simple to apply (having a donor r5), the second one maybe requires some ability I do not have...
However, what information should I ask to be sure I am buying the right carb/manifold?
Do I have to change even the air filter or could I swap the zenith 28 one?
Thank you again.

Some manifolds comprise of two pieces (separate inlet from exhaust), but I think all 28mm ones are single piece. You will definitely need the R4 exhaust manifold, so you may need to separate it from the inlet manifold by carefully cutting it, and either use the separate 32mm inlet manifold, or also cut it off from the R5 manifold.
It should be not that hard, I have done it many times on Volvo B18/B20 and Mini manifolds (but not on an R4...).

The air filter has to be changed, but you can also enlarge the existing hole on the existing mounting plate, if you have trouble finding the correct air filter.

Officially the 32mm carb had only been fitted on very early GTLs, all other R4 5-bearing engines used the 28IF. Jetting may be a little off optimum setting for your 956, but not so much that it will run bad.

You must be sure that the carburettor and inlet manifold comes from a Mk1 Renault 5 956cc and NOT a Super 5 (84-onwards), R9 or R11.

Hi guys, new member today with a question. I need an 53 idling jet for zenith 32if 2, does anybody know where i might find one, and where any other parts for this carb might be found please,

I may have a repair kit for this carb if you are interested. The IF2 was fitted on transverse-engined Renault of the time.
I have some idle jets from an IF7 (they should be the same) but must check first their sizes (56 I think).

Back