Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 TX Gearbox Noise at Idle

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
My Renault 5 TX is just about ready for an MOT. I've got a rough noise rattly noise at idle which I guess is from the gearbox primary shaft. I've taken a video:

The noise is only noticeable below 1000rpm and is a rough noise from the bellhousing which goes away when the clutch is fully depressed. I've tried removing the clutch cable so the release bearing is well away from the clutch and the noise is unchanged. The clutch and release bearing are new and reasonable quality.

I suspect the noise was there when I first started working on the car. I took this video back then http://www.renault4.co.uk/images/engine-bell-noise.swf

Any ideas what the noise could be? I'm guessing a knackered bearing in the gearbox primary shaft (though I think the oil that came out was fairly clean). I've tried running the car in gear on axle stands to send oil around the gearbox in case sitting around for 6 years has something to do with it, but no improvement.

I have a spare gearbox so could do a swap if the worst comes to the worst. But it's a real pain to swap gearboxes. I'm tempted to drive around a bit and see if anything disintegrates unless anyone has a better idea.

EDIT> Is it just gear rattle? Is it normal for the HA1 gearbox?

Last edited:
Sucks air through front teeth, "sounds right expensive that does"!

Does sound like the input shaft bearings are goosed.

It's occurred to me the R4 runs an HA1 box too, so the noise isn't normal. I was just hoping to avoid changing it, especially as the convenient time to change it would have been when it was out for the engine rebuild. Shouldn't be too bad a job - the manual reckons I can drop it out from underneath.

I'll change the starter motor at the same time. The current one tested perfectly when the engine and box were out of the car, but now spins without engaging half the time.

Could be the clutch or flywheel, just wondering if the starter not working properly is part of the symptoms too.

I'll check for witness marks on the flywheel when I take bits off to start removing the gearbox. It's not been a good week on the whole - I exposed some roof on my barn / kitchen this morning and found out why the roof is spreading. Turns out the structural bit is missing.

Though the TX will be fun once it's on the road.

Back