Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Radiators

John B

Enthusiast
My 850 R6 radiator has just started leaking, tried the rad weld type additive but still water pouring out the bottom. With temperatures here every day around 35c or more any weak spot is soon found.
There is a radiator for an 1100 R4 being advertised in Spain for 55€ or an iron rad 850 R4 for around 350€.
Also a copper rad 850 R4 for 380€.
Anyone know if an 1100 R4 rad will fit an 850 R6?
Thanks for reading.

Is your radiator the type that sits on the steering rack, with both upper and lower hose connections on the left-hand side?
The 1100 R4 radiator is different - it's much wider, sits just behind the bonnet grille and the lower hose connection is on the right-hand side (viewed from inside the car).
A photo would be great!

Is your radiator the type that sits on the steering rack, with both upper and lower hose connections on the the left-hand side?
The 1100 R4 radiator is different - it's much wider, sits just behind the bonnet grille and the lower hose connection is on the right-hand side (viewed from inside the car).
A photo would be great!
Many thanks for your reply.
The car has been temporarily abandoned at another house a few miles (kilometers) away but I will get a photo tomorrow.
Yes it sits on the steering rack.

Is your radiator the type that sits on the steering rack, with both upper and lower hose connections on the left-hand side?
A photo would be great!
R6 rad.jpgR6 rad2.jpg

The lower hose connection is on the same side as the upper, isn't it?
It's worth checking the dimensions of the radiator carefully - R4 850 radiators came in 2 widths. I haven't got any spare radiators to hand, but you'll see the difference in the plastic fan shrouds in this photo:
20220818_093134.jpg

The smaller one (probably like yours) is c. 384mm wide, the other 427.
Here are a few ideas - best to check carefully with sellers, though:

But absolutely not this one (although advertised as 850, I'm pretty sure it's for the 852 Cléon engine):

Could you confirm that the lower hose outlet is on the same side as the upper? The number on the engine plate would be a help too.
Good luck!

Many thanks for all that, yes the hose inlet/outlet are on the same side.
I will get some measurements and see if any of those ones being advertised will be ok.

My 850 R6 radiator has just started leaking, tried the rad weld type additive but still water pouring out the bottom. With temperatures here every day around 35c or more any weak spot is soon found.
There is a radiator for an 1100 R4 being advertised in Spain for 55€ or an iron rad 850 R4 for around 350€.
Also a copper rad 850 R4 for 380€.
Anyone know if an 1100 R4 rad will fit an 850 R6?
Thanks for reading.

0nly just joined, it will be quite cheap to get it re-cored you will end up with a radiator that fits and is like new.

If I was in UK that would have been my first thought, but here in southern Italy we are barely out of the 19th century let alone joining the 21st!

Back