Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Reanault 4 Discussion

sam 119

Enthusiast
The joys of Driving our favorite Car.
Today was a joyous one spent behind the wheel of my 1985 Red GTL driving alone on the A and B roads of North Devon. The Autumn sunshine causing dappled light through leaves of overhanging trees to dance on the bonnet as we rolled,pitched and yawed at speed through tight corners. The handling was superb and the joy of owning such a Car was bought home to me in abundance.
I crossed the border into Cornwall ,drove into Bude and parked outside the Off License. A young couple with their small son walked past me as I was parking and the little Boy was staring at my Car he then pulled his Mother's arm and yelled loudly "I want that Car".
His parents looked round at it as he yelled again "Mummy get a Car like that one".
They all walked back and looked at it and I offered to open the drivers door so he could take a better look inside. The parents asked if it was easy to drive with those strange gears and how fast would it go.
Their son wanted a photograph of it and I said he could sit in the Driver's seat for a pose behind the wheel. They were delighted by this and took many photos with their mobile phone.
After this the little Boy said "Thanks Mister this has been the best day of my holiday."
I said "One day when you are old enough to drive I hope you have a Car like mine."
He replied " I will."
I went inside the off licence and bought a fine bottle of Bordeux to enjoy with my supper.
I drove home knowing how lucky I am to have a Renault 4 and feeling a little sad at the prospect of laying her up in the Garage for the winter but then if I and others like me don't do this then todays children won't be able to share our enjoyment of owning such a great Car.

Hey Sam I was out in my R4 in North Devon today, heading for Saunton and a surf with my eldest son. Where abouts are you? Cheers Rich

DSC0000279.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Kent yesterday in the 4GTL attracting friendly looks. Great fun and pride too. Youngsters seem to notice the shape instantly.

It's a fabulous car when recovering from an op, as I am - like being wrapped in cotton wool!

Glad to see you are back in harness again Mark, and enjoying your 4. Our car never fails to bring a smile to people's faces, and kids love it. I did overhear a dad the other day tell his son it was a 2cv, but I didn't have the heart to correct him in front of his boy. Also shall we say ladies of a "certain age" come up to me and say, I used to have one of those, so it's almost as good as walking a dog, if you get my drift.:smile:

I went to pickup a front and rear sub frame today for a big saloon car - comments of it will never fit were followed by that will be on the stops! But it fitted no problem (passenger seat removed) and theres still spring in the suspension :) You do get noticed when driving them :)

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 198
Yesterday I got my GTL out, only did about ten miles or so and went though it making a list of the minor jobs I need to do. Really do need to get more use out of it!

My small person loves being in the R4 though, he can see out easier in an R4 and he really does like that!

I do love that Van! Do you think I could get away with out taking my kids anywhere?

Renault 4 Days

Great to read all you guys enjoying our lovely motors - drove Dou Dou my 4 Van over 200 miles at the weekend - nice and easy cruising enjoying the looks and smiles - simple pleasures but getting my mountain bike in the back and also my surf board just added to the joy.

Dou Dou

It sounds like you've fallen in love with your van, so does that mean the Pao has to go. I saw a Pao in Falmouth just the other day, first one I had ever seen, like the retro look about it but the 4L wins for me.

Back