Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear of New Fiat 500

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
I have just been in Italy and seen the new Fiat 500 in the metal, and it looks cool.

One thing about it that irritates me is the rear number plate, which is not square like the original. It makes the whole rear of the car look more anodyne and anonymous and more like a Renault 5. Also, the big awkward rear plate takes up the whole width of the bood lid.

I think it would have been better with a square rear plate like the original. What do you think?

I know its a minor point, but I altered a picture from 4car, and here are the results:

(I hope these attachments don't break any rules)

• 07-500-r-a.jpg
    07-500-r-a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 07-500-r-b.JPG
    07-500-r-b.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 234
I can't believe how much difference that makes. The one with the square number plate looks like a different photo. Very much cuter and together looking.

Cock up there from Fiat - perhaps you should offer your services for the facelift. I'm not sure they've got the front quite right yet either.

Shame they go for cool style with utilitarianism while taking advantage of all things modern. That plastic chrome on the bumper could go and save buyers a few euros.

I have been told that european regulations meant that the long rear plate was obligatory. I don't buy it though, since several new cars, including the new Discovery, still have a square plate.

I'd be interested to know why you think the 500's front is unresolved? I actually think it looks very well. All new versions of old cars look ever so slightly screwed up, perhaps because we look at them in terms of the original. It took me a long time to warm to the new Mini.

I'd love if Renault came up with a new version of the 4. Fiat would have been considered the last company to produce a new 500 a few years ago, and they pulled it off. If Fiat can do it, Renault definitely can.

It doesn't seem to matter that the Renault 4 is perhaps not as well remembered, if the new Mini's success in the USA is any indication.

I agree with what you say, Richard. The 500 is much closer to the original than both New Beetle and New Mini.
I would be disapponited if Renault made a New R4. (the same goes with a "New 2CV"). Simply, pullting Clio mechanicals on a "retro-looking" body would not be enough for me-the R4 was not jus a brillant body, but rather a brillant and unconventional car. I think that Renault understand this and do not want to spoil the R4 legend just to follow the trend.
Most people remember the R4 as a cheap and reliable workhorse, not as a fashion statement as the Mini or Beetle or Fiat 500, and Renault themselves could have made better with promoting its history.
But we forgot the Kangoo...officially promoted by Renault as the new R4 (fourgon only, however), it resembles the original on a lot of design details. The Twingo, too, s very close to be the "new R4". Its production started immediately after the R4 production end, it was equally unconventional and "shocking" and don't forget that we are talking about a modern car that stayed in production for 14 years!

Hi Agelos,
I think there are many who share your view. However I don't think a new Beetle is supposed to be a new People's car. Nor is a New Mini supposed to be a new space efficient small car.

If that was the case, the new Beetle would look like the Renault Logan, the new Mini would look like a Honda Jazz and the Fiat Panda would actually be the new Fiat 500. (In fact the 1980 Fiat Panda was intended to replace the Fiat 126, the original 500 replacement)

That also illustrates the point: It is not a case of either/or - Just as there is a spiritual replacement for the 500 (Panda) and new 500 that just looks like the original, we can have both a spiritual replacement, and a 'new Renault 4'

A new version of an old car will never be an icon in itself, it just won't happen. Yet these new Beetles, 500s and Minis not only regenerate interest in the original versions. People who like the old Beetle, but won't put up with the compromises of the old design can still drive a 'Beetle'.

They also allow the familiar forms of historical cars to remain part of the landscape.

I think a new Renault 4 could be something very interesting, if done well. Renault is not coming out with any interesting designs of late though

Why is the new Fiat '500' not 500cc?!?? Surely Fiat could make a good performance 500, the original 500s with Abarth tuning really fly. With the new 'Beetle', the engine should be at the back. The new 'mini' is not mini its way too big, not at all 'mini'.

If these cars are to be redone why not make them closer to the original mechanical aspects rather than just bodystyle?

Yes, Abarth 500s did fly, but we are talikng about a 500 (or less?) kilogram body weight. No single today's car buyer would deny comfort equipment, sound insulation, passive safety etc. to be a little faster with a small engine. Automotive industries today are making larger, better equipped (or simply unnecessary luxury???) and of course heavier cars. Guess that they need huge engines just to go as fast as a tuned Abarth 500?

From my point of view this is totally silly...with the existing progress and experience on engine management systems, direct injection, variable valve timing, they can easily make a powerful (but not squeezed to its limits) 1000 cc engine, that combined with a 800 kg vehicle weight will do wonders...
Who would be pleased to live without A/C, with minimal sound-proofing and with no "gadgets" only to have a light vehicle, though??

The answer would be "you and me and some other retro-thinking guys" but modern automotive industry certainly does not include us in their target groups...

Back