Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear suspension adjustment

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
I just find what I may describe as a cam attached to the rear torsion bars of my car. Does anybody knows if they are to adjust high?. I have read on some other threads that this is made by moving some splines the bars after some heavy work.
Does my my car have another type of adjustment (Easier) ?.

• DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 278
Yes it's the earlier (68-77) method of torsion bar adjustment, and you guessed it, you simply rotate the cam to adjust the ride height.
A similar arrangement is also to be found on the front torsion bars.

Angel, your answer comes to me from heaven. Thanks a lot. I was thinking on rising the rear of my car but, just thinking on all the hard work referred on some threads I was delaying it.
I will proceed on this project right away. I suppose I have to rise the car enough to have both wheels hanging free and then after make the adjustment.
The front part I believe seems to be right, so far.

Regards from Mexico

It can be done with the wheels on the ground, too. The cams are held on the opposite side of the chassis with a nut, loosen this one turn, or else the cam will not move!

Depending on the amount you need to raise the ride height, the cam may run out of travel, and you will then need to reposition the bar on the splines, but it's still easier than on later cars.

Thanks Angel
I prefer to do it wheels hanging. I have the idea that it will allow an easier adjustment. I just need a little.
I am on the other hand adjusting front bars on a '77 R5. To free the lower arm I am supposed to free the lower ball joint. Do I have to remove the shaft from the wheel to do it? I tried on the opposite direction, I freed the upper ball joint and the steering nuts, but the lower arm does not fall all the way, the drive shaft interferes with the lower arm shaft and retains it.

Back