Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear suspension parts

John Doe

Enthusiast
I am about to buy a batch of parts from franzose.de but I am stuck at the moment. I would like to buy everything for the rear axle so your help would be appreciated.

This is a part that got me stuck:
83233.jpg

83233-1.jpg

And this is how it looks on my car:
dscn5999t.jpg

dscn6001i.jpg

dscn6002o.jpg

Can anybody tell me what do I need from these part to rebuild the rear axle of my Slovenian built GTL?
http://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R4/Hinterachse/

These are for pre-77 R4s, so they won't fit your R4.

What you need is not listed on Franzose's page (bush+cast inner mounting, as on your pictures). They may have the bush alone, but you have to measure the dimensions first to get the correct part.
I may be able to help with the bush+mounting part, I think there may still be some of them available here.
Keep in mind that both inner and outer bushes are a pain to remove/reinstall/align correctly.

By the way, does anyone here have the inner bush dimensions fitted to R4s over the years? There seem to have been 3 or 4 different sizes and it would be handy to match them with model years.

The mounting itself is ok but bush is probably in a bad condition so I was thinking of replacing them. I've got three R4 in my front yard but all have their suspensions fitted. Can't see how to figure out the dimensions. Why do you say it's a pain to remove/reinstall/align correctly?

Pre-67 bush sizes

Angel,
Here's some sizes for a '63 1123
Rear outer: outer sleeve 50mm diameter, 39mm long (maybe 39.5); inner sleeve 34mm diameter, 51mm long.
Rear inner: outer sleeve 45mm diameter, 25mm long; inner sleeve 26mm inside diameter (32mm outside), 41mm long.

For some reason parts catalogues seem to quote the inside diameter of the inner tube of the inside bush and the outside diameter of the inner tube of the outer bush. When in fact these diameters are not the critical measure in either case!

Here's some front suspension sizes
Lower arm: outer sleeve 27mm diameter, 40mm long; inner sleeve 14mm bolt (maybe), 45mm long
Wishbone: outer sleeve 26mm, 23mm long; inner sleeve 12mm bolt, 27mm long
Steering rack eye: outer sleeve 23mm diameter, 19 mm long; inner sleeve 10mm bolt, 27mm long

The above are measurements of actual bushes recently removed.

I also have a page from a third party parts catalogue that gives post-65 sizes as well, which I've attached.

Geoff

By the way, does anyone here have the inner bush dimensions fitted to R4s over the years? There seem to have been 3 or 4 different sizes and it would be handy to match them with model years.

• R4 Bushes etc copy.jpg
    R4 Bushes etc copy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 216
thats a nice picture

Perfect picture!

Finally know what is going where

It's from an old catalogue one of my local parts guys gave me. Does all frenchies - pugs, citroen and simca.

It had a price list too - 35 cents for a bush! Well, it was dated 1965. If only they were the same price now.

• R4 Bushes etc 1.jpeg
    R4 Bushes etc 1.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 166
Back in 1964, price of a new 4L here was 149,67 euros...

Back