Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear windscreen seals

angel

Enthusiast
While trying to find windscreen seals for my never-ending 1975 R4 restoration, I accidentally bought two early type rear windscreen seals. The "early type" refers to them only being able to accept the wide aluminum embellisher, as opposed to the later chromed plastic key. They will fit all R4s, including Fourgon, and they are genuine Hutchinson. They can also be fitted without the aluminum embelissher.

What I am looking for is to exchange them with a front and a rear windscreen seal (or one of them with one rear) that has the correct "slot" to fit the chromed plastic key. Is anyone interested?

Are the ones you have suitable for a '66 with the trim in the photo? If so I'd be interested in one. Can't offer any later seals in exchange. I think Melun Retro Passion have some with the later plastic insert.

• window-trim.jpg
    window-trim.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 207
Yes, you are right, they will enable that trim to be fitted.

Melun Retro Passion don't have a rear windscreen seal (OK, I can make one by cutting a front one), but my main concern is that thay charge me exactly 39,40 Euros for shipping costs (for just one seal), which is ridiculously high.

Of course my other option will be to fit a plain seal with no key, but it will be a shame as I am trying for almost 3 years to restore it to its original specification.

There appear to be some seals with the chrome infill on r4er: http://www.reno4er.de/nt_gummi.htm See 46.020 Heckscheibendichtung mit Zierkedernut I don't know if they are earlier or later ones, and it's worth checking it fits the R4.

An early rear window seal would be useful to me. Don't know why but I'm collecting parts for the '66. At some point I was going to ask if you could send another tailgate lower seal too.

After one week of searching, I managed to locate one new front windscreen seal here, and also decided to fit a secondhand rear one that I had, and was in very good condition.

If anyone needs these early rear windscreen seals, they are available for 28 euros each, plus postage to where you are located.

Back