Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 GTL in London

mr_jones

B reg Renault 4 GTL, currently in Central London which has an MOT until 14th Sept. 07. Although the exterior and interior are tatty I have successfully MOTed this car for 10 years, with about 500 miles since last MOT, there is very little work required to obtain a new MOT, I can give more details about that if you are interested.

If no one wants to take this car on it will be scrapped, unfortunately I can not afford a second parking permit any longer, and it has to go before the end of september, I have already held onto it for 5 months, after ten years it has been hard letting go, as I'm sure any other owners will tell you these lovely little cars grow on you.

As a car for spares or anyone with a bucket and sponge this car would be good for a try, I have had all kinds of fun driving this car and the comments it gets alone have been worth the cost of ownership.

For the train spotters amongst us, the rear wheels are from an R5 gordini turbo, as is the steering wheel, I have the other two wheels to match, and lots of other spares including bonnet, 4 doors, boot, wings engine and gearbox, from my previous r4. The parcel shelf is present, the front seats have been changed to more sporting seats from a rover, I do still have the original front seats.

10 years ago I fixed the underside, rear suspension hangars, floor pan and ball joints, since then I have had to do very minor work to the underside, you can see I have really failed to keep the bodywork in good condition but the engine and running gear have pulled through 60,000 miles of my driving and I only wish they had made the bodywork to match the engine in these cars.

If you are interested in driving this car away and saving her from the crusher I will be very happy to receive an email at andrewj8 (at) orange (dot) net. (please convert this to the normal format for email addresses)

Ideally you will know what you are doing with these cars or cars in general, probably not a great first car for a student at college, or for taking the kids to school. Good though for the builders yard or driving round the farm. Please someone save this worthwhile car from certain doom.

• Renault 4 4.jpg
    Renault 4 4.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 541
  • Renault 4 2.jpg
    Renault 4 2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 532
  • Renault 4 5.jpg
    Renault 4 5.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 532
  • Renault 4 3.jpg
    Renault 4 3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 542
...Andrew...

Hello Andrew

Have sent you an Email about your car - did you get it?

Ian

• 36f7_1_b.jpg
    36f7_1_b.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 488
Sorry Ian, timinder, I have answered the emails now, if anyone emails me please give me a heads up on this thread as my junk mail filter will collect you otherwise, thank you..

No worries, although if you sent me a reply, I didn't get it. Maybe it would be best to PM me through this forum?

amazing photos , guess you never entered any concours events :)
hope somebody here gives her a new home, would be sad to end in the crusher :(
good luck paul

Thanks for that Paul, I have had so much fun with this car, the condition has not altered much for 5 years, it certainly cheers people up when they see it on the road

Hi,
I saw your car on the forum. I live in Kent and I am looking for an R4. It looks a state! But as I am an engineer and a former owner of a R4 I may be interested in a restoration project. Roughly what part of London are you in ?
Can the car be driven? legally? If it can whist the MOT is current then contact me ASAP ie before the 14th.

Best regards
Andy

Sorry to everyone who missed out on this offer.

Tim has collected the R4 and will probably be arriving home in Norfolk with a smile on his face in an hour or two.

Thank you to Clementine.

Last edited:
R4 Collected and home in once piece!
No dramas on the way, once I'd driven through London (Thanks to Andy and his excellent directions) and got used to the 'interesting' brakes it was plain sailing all the way home. The best part was that I only used just over half of the £20 worth of petrol I put in to do 130 miles, somewhat different from the Scimitar I'm used to!!
I was a bit apprehensive as to what Kate would say when she saw the car in all its glory, but it's still officially 'cute' so that's a relief!
I (hopefully we) will be treating this as a long term project, and I have another Scim to finish off first before I can liberate some working space, but I'll try to post photos as I get to each stage and no doubt I'll be asking numerous questions as well (hopefully not "what have I done?!").
The first stage will be the stripdown and inspection, I've already spent a bit of time this weekend finding all the heater controls etc!

Watch this space :)

Back