Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

renault 4 Tl Handling

And the 4L Trophy. My son keeps trying to steel the 4TL to do it. In fact he is in it tonight, hope he brings it back.

400 euros between a choice car that sounds fantastic and a car that you're more worried about is a minor amount, 1 months loan payment on a new car!

Get the best car you possibly can in the first place...

The Renault 4 is totally different to a Pajero, no power steering, no vacuum brake assistance , (which would explain your immediate concerns) .

My 4l gets regularly thrashed round my local roads, the handling is great for an old car. Yes it does roll on the corners but it can really fly round them too.

I can sit at 130kph on the motorway with no problems and it can pull round to 145kph. It's smooth at those speeds but you do have to be more aware than when you're in a modern car.

I've done long journeys in my 4GTL (UK-France-UK and France-Spain-Morocco-Spain-France) and it is a pleasure. Take the national roads and enjoy the drive, don't try to rush and your 4L will take you anywhere. Buy the best car you can afford, it will pay off the small difference in cost in reduced maintenance 10 times over.

Brakes tend to be heavy in the disk braked models (after 1981 ish). If you can lock up the wheels with a heavy emergency push they should be OK. You get used to them and if there are problems then replacement parts are cheap.

Handling is fine in a good Renault 4 so long as it isn't too windy. Though Renault 4s are old now and people have messed around with them. If the car steers to the side over bumps it is often the rear wheel tracking that is the problem. Check for rust or any welded repairs on the inner and outer rear suspension mountings. Apart from that any bad handling should be fixable by new dampers or new track control bushes at the front which is easy and cheap.

I am a convert we have owned a R4 now fo 7 years bought off ebay for 400 pounds and on average drive it almost every day. Starts every time
I think on average weve spent roughly two hundred euros per year to keep her on the road. I am no mechanic but she is simple to work on and mine is so old that what with the dings and dents its just added goodlooks????????????????
We are looking for a replacement but its got to be une autre quatrelle bonne courage jump in son
P

Would love to do the r4 desert rally ,looks amazing only one downside I'm 45 years old grrrrrrr

They do a baby boomers version - There are actually quite a few Moroccan desert adventures out there but getting the one that is not to "Rally" serious is the key.

Going to get it Saturday if I can get cash sorted ,just spoke to man,still has it, looked at corsa last night ,terrible ,looked like a boy racer had used it for racing about engine sounded heavy and didn't have nothing on the R4 ,hope all goes well and I get it home on the weekend

Going for the white Tl 1200 and he will pay the transfer to my name fee,whats the insurance like for these for a 26 year old driver been driving 5 years never had a claim ,? the GTL bloke seemed a bit iffy thing something is up with him has dropped the price to 650 euro know on that one but ,I don't believe ill get a better one than this white one its been so well looked after looks in fantastic condition all over

How old is the car - if it is 30 years old then you can get retro insurance. If it is similar to France then register it as a Vehicle de Collection.

I pay about €130 a year for my TL and GTL with Retro Assurance. My son is 22 (today) and drives it all the time.

its 1984 same year I was born so hope I get the cheap one too ,hopefully I can get some photos up on the weekend too let you all have a look,i thank you for all your help and advice ,its been great having people to ask who know what they are talking about,sometimes u just get a feeling about something

That looks a pretty good buy for the money. Much nicer looking than the yellow one.

When they look complete and normal your ont o a winner.

I agree with trip pyrenees, (what sort of trips are they by?)

That's a straight looking car!

I agree with trip pyrenees, (what sort of trips are they by?)!

Cycling Tours, Pyrenees, Alps, Corsica and Dolomites but in the winter I get to play with cars :)

Hey Chris - did you get to drive it yet..if so what did you think? :eek:

I got mine insured with Classic Cover, a sub of Liberty Seguros.
91€ a year, 3rd party. Roadside and glass is 50 more. Can be added anytime afterwards. Will do so before we do a longer trip.

You can do the forms and payments online, takes two minutes.

Reactions: ian
Back