Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

renault kangoo tensioner

RiteSedFred

Hello Do any of you know the correct name for the pulley that applies tension to the belt that goes round the alternator, There's a noise from around that area. I've taken the belt off and the noise disappears. How do I know if the noisy defective part is the tensioner or the alternator.. How much would a new tensioner cost ? 2004 renault kangoo 1.5dci any help most welcome :)

hi,
if you IM your full reg number , i will check price of new auxilary kit for you.

cheers
andrew

Is it a squeek or a chirp?
When the fan belt gets slack after a while it will start chirping. On most modern cars all you need to do to take off the slack is reposition the alternator a bit so that the belt is tight again. After tightening you should be able to push the belt down by a few milimeters. If you can't push it down it's too tight. That would be bad.
If it's a squeek there should be some play on the tensioner and possibly some visible damage like rust. The squeek can be intermittant when running idle. A chirp should only appear when accelerating. When driving the squeeck is most likely to be constant to the point you're thinking the car is going to fall apart.

Back