Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replacing clutch

DaveP

Enthusiast
I've got my Haynes and it seems reasonably self explanatory, any top tips though? I'm intending to do the gearbox out, engine left in method.

Clutch Replacement

I found it fairly straightforwards until I tried to get the gearbox shaft into the splines in the clutch plate. Having struggled for an immensely long time at my first attempt, I realised that you can tighten the clutch plate from the aperture in the clutch housing that the primary fan belt pulley sits in. So I now bolt the clutch plate onto the flywheel, but loosely, and then the gearbox shaft will slip in easily. Bolt the casing to the engine, and then turn the engine/flywheel using a screwdriver and carefully tighten up the bolts visible, two at a time, gently, going around a couple of times, until fully tightened. Simple

Have fun!

Spray loads of WD40 on the bolts that connect the tubular section between the chassis legs, one of mine sheared off.

That's gold fellas, thanks. Kit should arrive monday so I've wd40'd (is that now a verb?) all the bolts I could think of in preparation

Well, it went in, I ended up ignoring your advice, Tim, about centring the plate as I have a 1/4" extension bar which fitted just so with an 11mm socket attached and I felt confident/Lazy. The only problem was I broke the tabs on the clutch release bearing and had to wire it on, all seems to work fine so I'm very pleased with myself. Took about 7 and a half hours. Found a top tip of my own during the reconstruction, used an old expansion vessel and hose to refill the gearbox, popped the tube in the side hole,wedged the vessel twixt battery and rad and put the required amount of oil in, an hour later it was all in the gearbox.

Thanks again

Back