Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replacing the Head Gasket

mike4gtl

Mad many would insit upon
Hello team,

I saved (with cash) this GTL about a month ago which was local. I went to look at it expecting the usual wing rot and no floor etc etc but when i arrived it was in supprisingly good condition with the cleanest interiour i have ever seen, it even smells new and i love it!

It did not have a battery but i figured some one had probably robbed it, but this did not put me off because the car looked so clean so surley the engine had to be purrrrrrfect too...

Wrong, after getting the car home i dropped a battery on, tried the key and - CLICK. Uhh thats odd i thought, so i put the booster pack on and still CLICK. I scratched my head thinking perhaps the starter was stuck in the flywheel, so i shoved it into third gear and gave it a push. I pushed and i pushed but the harder i pushed the harder the car fought me back.

After the workout i had just recieved, i decided to find my big friendly giant sized screw-driver and i plunged it into the flywheel. Ahh, Engine Locked Solid Sir.

Coffee Time, croissants would be awsome right now, alas the cupboard is naked

I decided to remove the head knowing i would need to fit the clamps so i didn't dis-lodge the 'chemise' (liner?) and with in an hour it was off. EEk i think half of the water from Le Moulin Bodin was in the middle two bores (i should have spotted the fact it had no spark plugs in when i bought it) However after i began to soak it up i found it to be a cheap form of WD40.

I fitted the clamps and tried to turn her but no, locked solid, so i rummaged through the scrap metal heap and sought myself a fine piece of 15th century ironmongery. Seating it sweatly into the clutch i gave it the hardest hoof i could and CLONK, IT MOVED and the camshaft with it, yippi. (i did wonder if the chain had snapped)

This is how i left it, with yet more h'uil in each bore whilst i voyaged down through the snow to Ian's toasty cottage to repair his BX. The amount of oil this car has had down its bores is more than a life times worth, i should look into getting some shares in Mobil Exxon.

Alot of Wine and a while later....

Last week i took the head into work and fully refurbished it and yesterday found myself with some free time so i put it all back together. P.S the bolt under the starter motor is a right (naughty word) to remove, why did Renault use a bolt with a 13mm head and a nut that is 12mm?

I have not started it yet as i want to flush the cooling system out. My plan is to do this on tuesday evening as hopfully the new exhaust system will be here by then.

I will report back. Michael

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 360
  • head 2.jpg
    head 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 364
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 351
  • engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 352
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 363
  • boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 361
I saw the car on ebay, you beat me too it, great find, looks like you know what your doing with the engine too, I would've been stuffed! Keep us posted.

Well done, it looks nice! Re your question re why Mr Renault used a bolt with a 13mm head and a 12mm nut is simply so you can use a single set of spanners.....

A set of special Renault spanners. I even had to cut a 'V' into the ring end of my 13mm spanner so i could get it onto the bolt head, behind the clutch arm.

Sorry, Yes in short it does run. I have so far only run it for about 30 seconds a time as the new exhaust system is not fully fitted yet, but it certainly seems to run ok. The first time i tried it, it started on 3 cylinders and then the 4th cut it, now it comes in almost straight away.

Ideally i need to get it hot (+ to check if the fan switch works) I will probably finish the exhaust off on weds or thurs, then fill it up with anti-freeze and take it out into the yard and leave it running for a while.

Another possible job i have found it the clutch. I dont like the feel for the pedal, there is hardly any travel and biting point is right on the floor so i might have to put a clutch in it yet (the pedal is also heavy to press) If i do end up fitting a clutch i will take the whole engine out and fit a new timing chain while i am at it (like i did with the F6)

Its only about 14 bolts, a few cables and drive shafts and then that way i could clean up and paint the engine and engine bay. Then its just a matter of freeing the back wheel cylinders off and cables, adjusting the loose wheel bearings, head-lamp, etc

So thats where i am currently at. Running but only tested.

Michael

hi you mentioned new ! exhaust! how I long for one,where did you get it from,please AL Keep up with mechanical stuff all have done with mine is overhaul clutch so far,oh yes water pump is failing any ideas best Al

As funny as it sounds the system came from ebay, and all the fittings from Franzoes - for an extra 20 euros though i could have recieved it all from Franzoes.

I am hoping to fill it with anti freeze and bleed it all up tomorrow. Its taken longer to finish because i have been playing the old, old van, I have sorted out a barn just down the road from me where it is now resting.

Fatal Find!

(Correction, yes sorry)

Any way its all running like a watch awaiting its service now, however i was poking around the back chassis and noticed a few bubbles so i prodded them with a 16th century hefty screw driver and dunk, straight through it went. The bubble turned into a hole the size of your fist.

Up it went on jacks and i removed both rear wheels and shock absorbers I then sat on the spare wheel thinking about what to do and how to proceed, then before i knew it i was half way to removing the whole torsion bar.

Removed spare wheel
Removed spare wheel carrier and tank guard
Removed tank (still half full)
Loosend outer M8 bolts on each side
Loosend inner bolts (one is quite big)

Then i jacked the car up to a sensible working heigh and positioned two axle stands under the rear chassis just in from the bumper. I then removed the outer M8 bolts and removed all of the inner bolts except for the 2 big ones. I then found a punch on the chicken run floor and gave each bolt one quick blast (because i was scared it was going to fall to the floor) The bolts just shot out across the workshop floor and the axle stayed in place.

I laid my hand on it and with the softest touch it fell down. Note i did not disconnect the rubber brake hoses just incase it did fall. I will be replacing these along with the hand brake cables.

I chipped away like a wood pecker making a mess on the floor until i found good metal, which i did. Odley it seems to have only gone on the drivers side and the wheel arch stiffners are fine.

So thats where i am up to now. This is my first torsion bar removal and i am quite pleased with myself. I did all the work on my own in one afternoon. I will post some pictures once i have swept up.

Having removed it i think it is now quite an easy task, plus the repair will be very neat and long lasting. Another R4 saved, Mr Scrappage scheme :cool:

Michael

Wherabout has it gone, are the outer suspension arms ok ?
(if not I may be able to help with a naff Jig I made)

Hello, the outers are absolutly fine its just the drivers side rear chassis (just behind where the torsion bar bolts on) has a hole in it now.

Torsion bar removal

Yes this weeks task was to weld up the rear. Here are a few pics of what it was like when i removed the bar.

The outer chassis sections are in superb condition.

• IMGP4261.jpg
    IMGP4261.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP4262.jpg
    IMGP4262.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP4263.jpg
    IMGP4263.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 104
I have now completed the rear work and i am just finishing fitting a section of der franzose front floor then hopfully after a few new ball joints and brake hoses it will be done.

I have since picked up and identical car to this after buying another F6 so this one will be offered for sale shortly

Back