Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Shocks for R4 rear

nickharman

Enthusiast
So I leave the 1984 R4 in my french mechanics hands for the control technique and when I get back a month later I have a bill for E565. A lot more than the car is ever worth. I could have crucified him on the spot.

Dismayed? I'll say. And then he says ' oh and the rear shocks are no good but I convinced the inspector to pass it'

yeh great stick me with a massive bill and dont fix something dangerous!

well Ill change the shocks myself thx very much as there are no coil springs involved.

any one know if I need unique ones? All R4 rear shocks the same?

and suppliers?

thx

Oscaro.com have them, they have Delphi, which are good and some own brand ones which are probably fine for a bit less money, both are available in "pression a huile" (bad) and "pression a gaz" (good)

Where in france are you? I may be able to recommend a mecano

Don't worry, compared to modern parts a €565 bill is nuffink!

I've just had our oldest Transit 03 plate repaired for work, it cost £300 just for a new inlet manifold!
The total bill was £700 and our boss was reluctant to pay this! When vehicles get to a certain age then the repair bills can easily be more than the cost of the car.

Oh and a previous mechanic had told us it was the fuel pump and was quoting over £2500 to repair it!

I just did a Timing belt failure job on a 16v megane. Billed them £675:) but i always give them a rough guestimate before hand. :eek:

Hi all, I'm very new to the Renault 4 maintenance game. I've got a 1984 GTL and it is riding very low at the rear, the car is almost flat with no load and I know the 4 is renouned for its poised forward sloping sporty stance! I took some passengers at the weekend and the rear wheels disappeared, now I've found them again I want to try tightning the torsion bars but could do with some pointers, the shocks are also really tired so would like to do this at the same time. I've read the forum blurb about sourcing them but can't find a supplier - any suggestions in the UK?

Any help much appreciated. Will

Renault4mad, did the megane bend any valves?

Hi Mike
Of course....lol...never had one miss yet..bent 12

just bought a V reg megane with a broken belt for £100..Thats my 4 project fund when its sold

Back