Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spares for a trip?

bobjacqs

Enthusiast
Hi, we're going on a 2 week holiday to France in an '85 R4. It's in very good condition. Would you bother taking any spares or tools? Thanks, Bob.

Hi Bob, I would certainly take a basic tool kit on such a trip, standard equipment in the boot of a 4 anyway, plus a spare set of light bulbs, one of each of alternator and water pump belts and spare points and condenser. A set of jump leads and a tow rope might come in handy too. If you are off to France don't forget your high vis tabards, one for you and one for each of your passengers, plus a warning triangle should you break down at the side of the road. These two are required by law in France and must be easily got at in an emergency. Have a great trip to France, the French will love your car. Regards Brian.

Hi Bob, I would certainly take a basic tool kit on such a trip, standard equipment in the boot of a 4 anyway, plus a spare set of light bulbs, one of each of alternator and water pump belts and spare points and condenser.

You described almost perfectly my tool box! Plus a pair of cables to connect your battery to another one if you forget your lights on... Sometimes happens.

Hi Azazello, that's what we call jump leads, very handy. Are you planning any long trips this summer? Bit of camping perhaps? Brian.

Just back home (this night at 3.00 am) from Italian national Meeting in Trento... Something like 1300 km trip from my home and back.
Very good weekend with beautiful people.
I'll write the link for photos as soon as my friend Alessandro will publish them on the italian forum.

That sounds like a great trip, looking forward to seeing the photos my friend. I guess you camped and had good weather. I'm off to France in July, to the Le Mans Classic, and I'm hoping there are a few 4L enthusiasts going too. The funny thing is, I'm going with a friend who I thought would take his Lotus Esprite, but he doesn't trust it so I expect you can guess what we are going in, the trusty 4 of course.

Yes, sun and warm despite the weather forecasts that said rain all three days. Luckily, because I was in my tent.
I hope you have a good journey, you r4 looks very solid and trusty!

Thanks for that Azazello, but I shall still take a good set of spares for peace of mind.

It's always nice to know there is help out there if the 4 gives trouble, and of course the same applies if our "neighbours" visit us over here.

That sounds like a great trip, looking forward to seeing the photos my friend. I guess you camped and had good weather. I'm off to France in July, to the Le Mans Classic, and I'm hoping there are a few 4L enthusiasts going too. The funny thing is, I'm going with a friend who I thought would take his Lotus Esprite, but he doesn't trust it so I expect you can guess what we are going in, the trusty 4 of course.

Thanks to all who replied. very useful.
@Cornish4 - that's where we're going to - the Le Mans classic (amongst other places - we're going for ten days). Have you been before and can you recommend a campsite? We've never been and it all looks mighty confusing!
Bob

there's a new law just been passed in France. You have to carry TWO breathalyzer kits in your car. They only cost about 2Euro each and you can buy them at any big supermarket. Sounds crazy, I know, but they're trying to clamp down on drinking and driving

Thanks to all who replied. very useful.
@Cornish4 - that's where we're going to - the Le Mans classic (amongst other places - we're going for ten days). Have you been before and can you recommend a campsite? We've never been and it all looks mighty confusing!
Bob
Hello Bob, if you go to the Travel Destinations website you will get details of tickets for the LM Classic plus campsites in the complex, which you can book prior to your visit. I visited the track last year to see the museum, well worth spending a couple of hours there. No need to be confused about going there, if you phone TD they will help you book your tickets. Hope we can meet up that weekend. Regards Brian.

there's a new law just been passed in France. You have to carry TWO breathalyzer kits in your car. They only cost about 2Euro each and you can buy them at any big supermarket. Sounds crazy, I know, but they're trying to clamp down on drinking and driving

The new law doesn't come into being until November I think, but it would be as well to buy a couple of kits over there on arrival just in case the police wish to check the car over.

Back