Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedo cable

tiagoncalves

Enthusiast
Good afternoon,
I'm having some trouble with the speedometer cable. The place where the cable fits the gearbox is broken. Well, not the cable, but the piece that spins inside the gearbox. So, is spins, but it is not transmited to the cable. How can I change this part? Is it possible to remove it from the top, or I need to open the gearbox?
Thanks a lot!

Tiago

It is always a good idea to let us know what model of R4 you own, the oval plate number and the year it was made. It will then allow someone to answer you giving the correct information.
Thanks.

Yes, of course. It is a gtl model, from 1987. I notice today that i'll need to open the gearbox, to change the endless screw, right? Is it simple to open the gearbox? Thanks.

What you will only need to do is to remove the front gearbox cover, and this can be done without removing the gearbox from the car, just by removing the driveshafts, gearbox mount and any component (e.g. radiator, tubular crossmember) that is in the way, in order to raise or lower the gearbox sufficiently. Both speedo drive gears are there, no need to go further in.

Back