Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

steering rack for 1986 R4

MintyR4

Enthusiast
Hi all. I just bought myself a brand new 1986 Renault 4GTL. she passed the MOT in England but failed the NCT test here in Ireland so I needed to get a bit of work done. I'm still looking for a steering rack. Any suggestions ? :

Ireland

Hi MintyR4

Unfortunately I cant help you with your steering rack and sorry to hear your car failed the NCT.

I was interested in the fact that you are in Ireland and was wondering if there was a Renault 4 Club here as I have a Renault 4GTL as well.

Maybe you could email me privately and we could link up.

JackM

Can I ask what they have found wrong with the rack? Usually they don't give too much trouble. If it's just some wear in the Nearside outer bush then you used to be able to buy a kit to overhaul them.

Just replaced one on mine, cost about a fiver here in france, you can get new racks on www.oscaro.fr for about 100 euros if it's dead. Wind it out fully to the drivers side and see if there's any play, if not then it's fine. Pm me if you have problems finding the kit, I'm away for a few weeks but could get you one sent out in feb.

Can I ask what they have found wrong with the rack? Usually they don't give too much trouble. If it's just some wear in the Nearside outer bush then you used to be able to buy a kit to overhaul them.

Very badly worn bushes seems to be the problem. I can get a LHD rack handy enough. i'm wondering if I can change over the parts. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks

Just replaced one on mine, cost about a fiver here in france, you can get new racks on www.oscaro.fr for about 100 euros if it's dead. Wind it out fully to the drivers side and see if there's any play, if not then it's fine. Pm me if you have problems finding the kit, I'm away for a few weeks but could get you one sent out in feb.

The rack seems to be dead alright. Just wondering if I got a LHD rack could I change over the worn parts or not.

Back