Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

toro

cyderman

Hi, I make hard cyder in Oregon USA. In an effort to keep the weeds at bay in my orchard I purchased a 1970/80's Toro golf course mower using a renault 850 engine. Rebadged as Teledyne Continental r839-46. I love the engine but points for its SEVMarchal distributor seem non existant in the US. They are a 2 pc design with a straight flat contact plate. I have ordered part from Hewis in UK that has correct set pictured but I will not be sure until in my possesion. My question for you Renault folks is this:
Do the many different distributor manufacturers for this 850 use the same drive gears. ie did they modify design for Renault or are all engine internals distributor specific? Can entire distributors be interchanged?
Not quite sure what to do when this last set wears out. Thanks Cyderman

Interesting use for a Renault 4 engine!

I guess you have the 782cc engine (839 engine type), that has the late style distributor fixing ( a plate fixed by a nut and stud in the engine block, am I correct?).
There were three distributors fitted, all sharing the same drive. One is the "small" SEV-Marchal (you current one), the other was the "small" Ducellier (similar in view to yours, of different make, might be better if you could find Ducellier points there). The third one is the "large" Ducellier, which is roughly the same as used on 80s Renaults so you may find points, rotors etc more easily (I think the R5 LeCar and R9/11 Alliance sold in the States had contact point ignition).
Be aware that you have to find such a distributor for a 782/845 engine, the larger Renault engines have a different drive, so you have to search in Europe. Don't worry about advance curve, it amy be a little out but it should not make any difference on a golf course mower!

Thanks for informative help. The distributor is small indeed and one is currently on ebay for sale from isreal. I will check mounting but I remember drive is simple slot.

Hi Cyderman
If the points you need are the ones in the photo, I may be able to help. The part number is Intermotor 2287[0]; they replace SEV 908247. I've found 5 brand new sets, which might keep you running for a bit!
Andy

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 469
I have a continental 83946 engine in a toro groundmaster .
With a ducellier distributor 4486a stamped on the distributor. Desperate to find a part # for points .
Can someone help ?

Back