Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion Bar spanners

My GTL sags like an unprintable simile. I would very much like to borrow a set of these in due course, and I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee/deposit.

Join the club....The guy at the garage suggested I get myself a large girlfriend (not his exact words) I'd also be happy to rent the tools required or even pay someone to sort my tilt out...

Well worth anyone with a saggy car checking whether the problem is at the front or the rear. Can do that roughly by putting the car on a level surface, bit of wood between the rear chassis members and jack up with a inverted bit of angle iron on a jack exactly in the middle. When rear wheels are off the ground check the front ride heights. Then move the car backwards and forwards to settle it down and jack the front to check the rear ride heights.

Only mention it as I've corrected a rear ride height problem in the past by adjusting the front torsion bars but then all the weight is on diagonally opposite front and rear wheels which messes up the handling a lot. :oops:

Geoff, that's good news, the octagon is the same as on later cars, so the spanner will fit.
I will have more info this week, for anyone intrested, but note that the spanner alone will not do much work. Anyone using it will need sufficient space under the car (about 1,5m) in order to fit a long pipe on the end of the spanner, as a lot of force is needed. The other way, of course is to make a tool like Sus.28 (see Malcolm's one at the technical section, there must be a photo of mine somewhere in the forum). So it would be fine only if you have access to a car lift or pit.

Malcolm, the situation you describe is very common on 2CVs, with the interconnected suspension all weird things happen when you try to adjust it. It can sometimes happen to our cars,too, if for some reason adjustment of a wheel/side has been way out. Available from Renault at some time was some kind of scales to check the load on each wheels (that's corner weighting, exactly as done on race cars!).

any progress on these Angel?-or are we waiting for some more members on here to wake up ? we have So much camber on the roads here that I have even considered air-assist system (simple ones at rear with those rubber-balls being filled) It looks stupid to hav eth acar leaning to one side depending on which way you go. OR I might go for more solid door-locks so as not to fall out.. -R.

Good news for you all, I have bought the spanners and am awaiting their arrival. They cost a fortune with postage and money transfer charges so will be available for hire soon.
Allan

Back