Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

trouble starting in the mornin

Chris Mc

I`v just bought a megan Scenic Auto witch came with no owners manual,i`v finally found out that a button by the gearstick with a frost icon on it turns out to be traction cont,me thinking it was a manual choke button,so obviously i had a few probs tryin to start it thinkin whilst it turned over fine if it needed a bit of choke (by now you realise i`m thick a s**t with cars),It still needs a few (3-6) turns to get the engine running but after i`v driven it for 20 mins it starts first time no probs.My last car that had an auto choke used to push the revs up to 1000 odd then when warm idle at 750,but the megan just idles at about 600 whatever the weather,is this correct or how do i get it to start 1st maybee 2nd turnover as it should in the morning? i`m not pressing the throttle or holdin the fob as i try to start it.Any ideas whats up with it or me?
CHEERS

hi..
what year and engine size do you have..

cheers
andrew

Thanks for replying Andrew.
It`s a V reg and 1.6 engi,as i said once it`s been driven for 20 mins it starts first time but in the morn it varies how many times i turn it over to get it going,only had it a few weeks so i dont know what it`s going to be like in the winter if it`s like this now with a bit of rain? ye know the weather we`v been havin down here,i`m in Saltash,so it`s not been that cold.

Hi,
sounds like a coolant temperature sensor playing up..it takes a reading of the coolant and sends that to the ECU which releases fuel...just like a choke.
I have had them reading water temp 70 deg .
If its the 8 valve engine then it will be on the housing were the top hose joins it. It wil be the plug with a wire clip around it.
If its the 16v engine then it will screwed into the side of the head with a black connector. That one also controls the rad fan operation..

If it is a TDC sensor fault then it would play up at anytime...not just in the morning

hope this helps..

Regards
Andrew

Cheers Andrew
I have now a couple of things to check (thanks) ,i went into the garage and got the owners manual and a few other bits of info so i hope reading through them and what you`v said should get the prob solved.I hope you dont mind if i post a thread or PM you if things start to play up again(fingers crossed).Oh its a 16v
Beer Andrew :)

It`s now happening today when the weather was nice,the temp reading on the dash was 18 c,so excuse my technical terms but the thing that regulates what mixture to use in weather conditions, when i turn it over is obviously dodgey,it did start but after a minimum 10 try`s,so if i was to take it to the garage any idea what price we would be talking(roughly).
cheers again

hi..
Is it a 16 v or 8v engine.....

Back