Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Turning over a (siezed) Le Car engine

Ben Robinson

Enthusiast
Greetings all:

I recently bought a 1981 Le Car from a junk yard with a seized engine. I've taken off the head and had the cylinders soaking with oil for weeks. Anyhow, I can't really find a good place to get a socket to try to turn it over on account of the inline transmission configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is directly connecting a battery to the starter a bad idea?

Hi welcome to the world of renaults
First thing to be aware of is this engine has got wet liners with extremely delicate paper seals at base of liner if you attempt to free off engine it is definite that these will be disturbed meaning replacement by dropping sump oil pan then creating even more work
With unknown history it may even of seized on crankshaft and attempt freeing pistons will be time wasted
Is your car manual or auto as any attempts to turn a seized engine may be safer on a manual transmission by rocking in gear
You will need to ensure liners are clamped down as they will come up if not secured
Do not be tempted to try with a socket on bar on camshaft pulley as you will snap camshaft in your efforts
Good luck as having owned a us spec le car previously it's pretty crowded under bonnet
Edit just to say had good results using diesel fuel to free off seized engines
I have drained original oil and then filled engine brim full with diesel fuel as well as bores
This will get to underside of pistons and rings

it's a shame the engine has its head off, as I'd do similar to Paul, fill it with diesel and leave it!

You were right. It doesn't take long until the diesel starts weeping out. I think this one is destine to be an organ donor.

Back