Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

ventilation flap

ade

Enthusiast
almost finished going over my 67 TL and one thing that concerns me is the ventilation flap just below the windscreen...it has 2 rubber buffers which prevent it from closing fully...i can trim them off a bit, but there'll still be a helluva draft coming straight thro from the flap aperture and thro the screen demist flaps on top of the facia and into the cabin.....has anyone tried fixing a rubber seal around the vent flap (or is there supposed to be one) to stop the draught
....also, if water gets through this flap (which it will do if driving at speed in the rain), where does it go?....there's some sort of cavity i think, but i can't work it out....where would the water drain out?....Adrian

There was a seal fitted to the flap, but Renault must had stopped fitting it at some time, because it is not listed on the 1970s parts book.
I had recently come across a 1975 R4 with a "D" profile sponge rubber seal fitted in the channel around the flap. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any suitable rubber extrusion, except for a self-adhesive one, with the adhesive side being the wrong one (the straight part of the "D").

Look inside the engine compartment directly behind the timing gear cover, you will see a plastic hose pointing downwards. It's the drain pipe for any water that finds its way in the hollow section of the bulkhead and ends on the bottom of the heater housing. If all goes well (the pipe isn't blocked), it's drained off the car, if not, you will notice water leaking in the car through the heater outlets.

vent flap

thanks for that Angel, i'll let you know if i find a suitable rubber

Back