Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

was hoping the welder wouldn't have to come out

ade

Enthusiast
hello all....some advice and some help needed....
doing some work on my LHD '67 TL, been all over it...no rust at all....except, a real awkward place under the pedal box....it seems they decided to put some foam where the body meets the chassis at the lower inboard rear corner of the inner front wings, only a couple of inches long (about 20 x 10 mm section) each side.
my advice, remove it, and see whats behind it....on mine, rhs ok, lhs its directly under the pedal box and rust has taken out the whole of the forward return of the bulkhead panel, see my photobucket link http://s255.photobucket.com/upload/albums/ade55/?location=r4
question is, even with master cyl and pedal box removed, i can't see a leakproof way of repairing it...there's going to have to be a bit of bodging involved....i hate that...
i'm thinking of adding a forward facing flange to the lower edge of the pedal box, and welding it to the flat panel under the master cyl but that would make the area below inaccessable...?????? help
i've dug out some of the chassis to body joint sealant along the flange (at rear of wheelarch), and its curious that this flange only has a fixing screw at its outer end...it really could do with a couple more inboard

on another note, has anyone used Dinitrol Metallic aerosol...its a hard but waxy finish ideal for the backs of chrome bumpers...a place which doesn't take paint well.....
....Adrian

My only thought is to remove the inner wing to get better access to it ?

(Mine had gone in the same place, I rebuilt the edge)

rust under pedal box

in the end, i did weld a flange to the lower edge of the pedal box....it made sealing this area much easier...i also added extra bolts to the body/chassis mating flange behind the front wheel which i thought really need it, especially behind the exhaust pipe which tends to dry out the sealant between these flanges....Adrian

Back