Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Well they have gone and done it haven't they!

This change in the law has obviously been specifically designed to discriminate against R4s - which commenced production in 1961 . . . Will be OK for some 4CVs, though.

Well if the 4 has missed out on this, how about the rolling tax-exemption starting up again, wouldn't that be nice? 30 years old would be good. Maybe it's time to start pestering our MPs.

I thought they had a golden opportunity to restart it at 40 years old and start it rolling from where is it now - but alas no luck so far :(

I had an Austin 7 when I was an apprentice engineer and I must say I do have a bit of a hankering for one again.

Sadly I imagine that this means that VIN plates for 1959 Land Rovers and Minis have just risen in value.

I did read earlier that you won't be able to tax a car (ie not retaxing) without an MOT which does mean that you couldn't just drive your barnfind straight onto the road and that there will be an optional MOT test still for pre 1960s with the suggestion that insurance companies might like to know the car is MOTd.

I expect you are right David, I dare say there will be some "enthusiasts" out there pulling a fast-one.
Have I missed something here, surely a pre 1960 vehicle won't need taxing anyway, but it's good to here that insurance companies would quite like to see some sort of proof of a vehicles road worthiness.

They do have to be taxed, its just that the tax is free. So currently you produce MOT and insurance and get a free tax disc in return. From October you would just produce insurance and the post office would hand a tax disc back to you.

Sorry David, I had a senior moment there. Ah, matron has just brought me Horlicks, thank you my dear:confused: Signed confused of Falmouth.

Soo what that means is you only have to get 1 dodgy MOT not one a year !

I wonder if it will hurt the Rat Rod scene with people getting pulled over because there is no way to know if it is terrible or just looks it :)

We can only hope that the police have better things to do like catching real criminals than targeting innocent classic car enthusiasts.:D
Haven't I heard that somewhere before?

I don't personally think that this is quite the risk that the classic motoring press would have us believe. I think that the greater risk area would be in cars like our own, late sixties, and seventies, where many models still hover uncertainly on the threshold of graduating from banger to classic collectible status and don't have sufficient value on the open market to make full restoration economically and commercially viable.
However, the pre sixties stuff is rarer, starts to become seriously collectable the further back that you go, and is hence more valuable, less likely to be in daily use and risks must therefore, decrease significantly.

Looking at it more closely if you wont get a sensible rate of insurance without it then what's the point! More stupid laws for zero gain !

I don't think that the Insurance market will turn its back on classics, but I suspect that it will become more difficult to make an accident claim without being able to demonstrate that the car was in good roadworthy condition at the time. Most probably those at real risk will be the ones with modified vehicles, (eg: modern engine in older car) who will have to prove that they did it all properly and uprated the rest of the car to suit.

However, not many will have done this sort of thing to cars of this era.

I remember getting my FREE Classic car Tax for my 62 R4 and the woman in the post office said do you want 6 or 12 mths...hello.!!!...i said what do you think... 12 please

Yes my traction will now be mot exempt (as it would be in france anyway under carte gris collection) as will my 1954 land rover but sadly not the F4

So, am I right in thinking if, for example, I want to put my Sunbeam motorcycle on the road, which has been OFF the road for about ten years, I will still have to have it MOT'd, but after the initial MOT I won't have to have it done again?. Or can I blow up the tyres, insure and tax it and off I merrilly go?
Alan.

So, am I right in thinking if, for example, I want to put my Sunbeam motorcycle on the road, which has been OFF the road for about ten years, I will still have to have it MOT'd, but after the initial MOT I won't have to have it done again?. Alan.

Thats how a tester has explained it to me, yes.

My reading on the subject suggests that you will still be able to take it for an MOT if you want, but the certificate no longer has any legal standing after November.
I haven't seen anything about cars having to have a recommissioning MOT if they have been off the road for years, or if they have an expired MOT when the exemption date passes.
Is anyone on the forum an approved tester, and has any guidance been issued?

Back