Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What pre 69 parts are hard to find?

stork

Enthusiast
Hello all, as you know I am looking for and early R4 pre 75. I was wondering if I do find a 64 to 68 model, and as mention on this site parts are difficult to find... what parts are we talking about?
Are we talking about cosmetic parts? trim, interior, dash, etc.? Or are the mechanics, suspension, engines transmissions the issues.
Just want to know what I should be looking for in an early R4 if I run across one, and what would be the warning signs to stay away (apart from rust).
Thanks,
Robert

I had trouble finding some of the suspension parts for early cars but it's not the end of the world as later parts can be made to fit. Interior parts tend to be available only secondhand or local trimmers can repair things.

Haven't heard of any R4 owner who has not been able to keep their car on the road due to lack of parts.

Good to know... I had a Land Rover SI 1958 SW and it took me years to find some parts (I eventually gave up and flew to the UK and hit the shows. after a week of hunting I came home with duffle bags full of parts!)... I don't want to go through that again! Personally I am looking for a restored example so all I have to do is maintain it and enjoy it. I have done a few restorations, and I just don't have the time. Especially since I live across the pond and parts will cost me an arm and a leg!:shock:
I has not been easy finding a good R4... I have been looking for a bit and the early ones are hard to find... Later tl's and gtl's are much easier but if I want to enjoy the Vintage Rally clubs I need to be in the 1960's but early 70's could work as well...

I found a 69 but I am still waiting for the pictures... They are going to put it up on a lift for me and take close ups... if everything looks good then I will send someone to inspect it for me... I also found a nice 70 in Spain... that one looks like it is a contender (much better priced than the 69) but I still need to have it inspected... the devil is in the details!

Difficult Parts to find

In answer to your question, everything on an early cars is different from later cars and their are a seemingly infinite amount of detail variations year on year from 1961 to 1991.

Early cars have different wheel designs, bumpers (thin, over-riders painted stainless), dashboards (black, brown 3 types), steering wheel, gear stick, gearbox (3 speed, 4 speed different types), expansion bottle, glass or plastic) engine ancillaries, window frames (black or stainless or plastic) seats (cloth, vinyl, bench), indicators( rectangular or round wing mounted), suspension pressings (cast arms, pressed arms, square profile or pound profile), drive shafts( I have come across 4 types some with pins some without differing hardy splicer joints), door hinges external or internal, heater air intake flap 3 types, loads of different brake manufacturers, bonnet grill (6 types?), badges, headlinings -the list goes on and on, this is just off the top of my head.

Their are countless other details, the only way to check is by reference to another car of the same year in a museum or Renault themselves as they keep good records.

However, the only really important thing is rust, as all these other details above can be altered over time, to a rust free car. Rust often cannot be cured.

A good project for someone would be a year by year list of the production changes. This would be a long list but fun reading for a nerd like me.

James

Evolution

The copy of "Retroviseur" that I received from KevinandKate had a nice chronology of changes to the berline from the first R3 and R4 to the last. It mainly covers the external changes but does have some mechanical changes, 3 speed to 4 speed box etc.

It's in French and I could do a translation but how do we stand re copyright ?

If OK maybe it would use it to form the basis of a dossier which could be updated by more knowledgeable persons ...

I have heard that one must get permission to publish on public sites. But from person to person it is okay... I believe.
Either way I would be interested in this. If you translate it you or I could write it up in our own words and mention them as a source so it does not become a copywriter issue.
Robert

Back