Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheel Bearing Problems

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
Hi I am currently changing my rear back pates and drums and thought it a good time to change the wheel bearings. However finding the right bearing seems very tricky.

My car is a 1992 1.0 TL (lhd) with bendix rear brakes. I read on a previous thread that the bearings are industy standard sizes. However only the smaller bearing has any form of code on "SNR 10R32004VC12 FRANCE 96C". So I without the code for the second I can't order from a bearing company.

I tried my local motor factor but according to his book both the bearings on each rear wheel should be the same size, which they certainly are not.

Does anyone know the size or a company to order from?

Many thanks

Tim

p.s should I replace the cones as well? And if I buy a kit will it come with new cones?

• 201.JPG
    201.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 500
Great thanks a lot.

Here is the picture from the RENAULT parts website...

Kit no 12 7701460642 £46.57 plus vat

cheers

Andrew

• rear wheel bearing.jpg
    rear wheel bearing.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 548
The best bet might be to take them to the bearing factor - they usually only need 3 measurements - internal and external diameter and thickness - then they usually identify the style depending on whether its roller or ball etc and whether or not its got seals - you will probably find its an awful lot cheaper as well. I haven't bought a wheel bearing or a fan belt for any car from a dealer for about 20 years, but then my brother works in the trade!

....but then you'll need to go to Renault for the grease seal - or buy a kit of the correct bearings with the seal included. Less hassle and less petrol!

Back